What is the purpose of glacial acetic acid in the oxidation of benzhydrol?

• Thread starter Delta what
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oxidation
In summary, the purpose of the glacial acetic acid is to react with the OCl to form hypochlorous acid. The dichromate is a catalyst that helps to produce a complex with the benzhydrol. The acid is used to react with the alcohol to produce the ketone.
Delta what
In a lab we oxidized benzhydrol to produce benzophenone. We use glacial acetic acid and sodium dichromate dehydrate to oxidize the benzhydrol. Then we set up the first extraction with water and CH2Cl2 and the second with NaHCO3 and CH2Cl2.

I am trying to figure out what all of the chemicals used are doing.
Especially what the glacial acetic acid is doing?
I am also not quite getting the purpose of the NaHCO3.

I believe that the dichromate is a catalyst that produces a complex with the benzhydrol.
I can't figure out what the acid is doing. My major barrier is that I thought that the lab was trying to remove the hydrogen from the benzhydrol (oxidize it) and wouldn't the acid get in the way of this since it is all to willing to give up its proton (I am guessing more so then the benzhydrol).
[PLAIN]http://://o.quizlet.com/mXl.vLVhNjF3Y6JD7WMDyg_m.png
[PLAIN]http://://o.quizlet.com/mXl.vLVhNjF3Y6JD7WMDyg_m.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: converting an alcohol to a ketone is just an oxidation.

Totally get that this conversion is oxidation. I was wondering why I would put something in the reaction put that would be more likely to undergo a loss of a proton over the alcohol. In another experiment we utilized glacial acetic acid and NaOCl. The purpose of the acid there is to react with the OCl making the hypochlorous acid that then undergoes an addition reaction with the alcohol. Then the alcohol hydrogen is taken by water and then the carbon's hydrogen is taken by another water. Then the chlorine leaves and a ketone is formed. I am still not getting the dichromate and glacial acetic acid's relation.

If it is an oxidation - does the dichromate play a role of a catalyst?

1. What is oxidation of Benzhydrol?

Oxidation of Benzhydrol is a chemical reaction in which Benzhydrol is converted into Benzophenone by adding an oxidizing agent. This process involves the loss of electrons from Benzhydrol, resulting in the formation of Benzophenone.

2. What are the products of oxidation of Benzhydrol?

The main product of oxidation of Benzhydrol is Benzophenone. However, depending on the oxidizing agent used and reaction conditions, other side products such as Benzoic acid and Benzaldehyde may also be formed.

3. What are the factors that affect the rate of oxidation of Benzhydrol?

The rate of oxidation of Benzhydrol can be affected by several factors, including the concentration of the oxidizing agent, temperature, and the presence of catalysts. The type of oxidizing agent and the solvent used also play a role in determining the rate of the reaction.

4. What are some common oxidizing agents used for the oxidation of Benzhydrol?

Some common oxidizing agents used for the oxidation of Benzhydrol include potassium permanganate, chromium (VI) compounds, and hydrogen peroxide. These agents are strong oxidants and can efficiently convert Benzhydrol into Benzophenone.

5. What are the applications of Benzophenone produced from the oxidation of Benzhydrol?

Benzophenone is a versatile compound that has various applications in industries such as pharmaceutical, fragrance, and plastics. It is used as an intermediate in the synthesis of other compounds and as a UV absorber in sunscreen lotions. It is also commonly used as a flavoring agent in food products.