What's Going On When Iron Electrodes Are Electrolyzed in Sodium Hydroxide?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possible reactions that can occur when a concentrated sodium hydroxide solution is electrolyzed with iron electrodes. The reactions at the positive electrode involve the production of oxygen and protons, while the most likely reaction at the negative electrode is the production of hydrogen gas. However, the individual performing the experiment is surprised to find oxygen and hydrogen, but no iron hydroxide, despite iron being easier to oxidize than water or hydroxide. The explanation is that reactions occur in order from the "easiest" to the "hardest," and as long as there is water present, it will react preferentially.
tmiddlet
I've got a question that is bugging me

If I have a concentrated sodium hydroxide solution and electrolyze it with iron electrodes, some of the possible reactions at the positive electrode are
2H2O -> O2 + 4H++4e-. Eo = -1.23 V
4OH- -> O2 + 2H2O + 4e-. Eo = -0.40 V
Fe -> Fe2+ + 2e-. Eo = 0.44 V

and at the negative electrode, the most likely reaction is
2H2O +2e- -> H2 +2OH-. Eo = -0.88 V

Given this information, I would expect to see hydrogen gas at the negative electrode and iron hydroxide at the positive, but when I actually perform it I get oxygen and hydrogen, but no iron hydroxide. Why is this?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Reactions occur in the order from the "easiest" to the "hardest" - so as long as there is water present it will react preferentially.

That's what I thought, but it is much easier to oxidize iron than either water or hydroxide according to the values I found... Why do I not get any iron hydroxide?

1. What is electrolysis?

Electrolysis is a process in which an electric current is passed through a substance, causing a chemical reaction. This results in the breakdown of the substance into its component parts.

2. Why is sodium hydroxide commonly used in electrolysis?

Sodium hydroxide (NaOH) is a strong base and a good conductor of electricity, making it an ideal electrolyte for conducting electricity in the process of electrolysis.

3. What happens when iron electrodes are electrolyzed in sodium hydroxide?

When iron electrodes are placed in a solution of sodium hydroxide and an electric current is passed through it, the iron electrodes will undergo a redox reaction. The iron atoms on the anode will lose electrons, forming iron ions (Fe2+) in the solution, while the iron atoms on the cathode will gain electrons, forming iron atoms that will eventually deposit on the cathode.

4. What is the purpose of using iron electrodes in this process?

Iron electrodes are used because iron is a good conductor of electricity and readily forms ions. The use of iron electrodes in electrolysis allows for the transfer of electrons and the formation of iron ions in the solution, which is necessary for the chemical reaction to occur.

5. What are the potential applications of electrolysis with iron electrodes in sodium hydroxide?

Electrolysis with iron electrodes in sodium hydroxide can be used for a variety of purposes, including the production of iron compounds for industrial use, the purification of wastewater, and the generation of hydrogen gas for fuel cells. It can also be used in the production of chlorine and other chemicals.