Oxidation of Phenylethanal: Does it Produce Benzoic Acid and React with PCl5?

• Thread starter crays
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oxidation
In summary, the conversation discusses the oxidation of various organic compounds such as aniline, benzaldehyde, 3-phenylpropane, phenylethanal, and hipuric acid into benzoic acid. The question also asks about the reaction between PCl5 and propanone. The speaker requests for an answer but notes the need for more context regarding oxidation conditions.
crays
Hi guys, my teacher once told me that if there's a benzene with a side chain which has a carbon group (e.g. aniline or benzaldehyde or 3-phenylpropane) it will be oxidise into benzoic acid, no matter what it is.

So my question now is, does oxidising phenylethanal gives me benzoic acid? or say even longer side chain like hipuric acid, will it be oxidised into benzoic acid too?

Another small question is that, will PCl5 react with a carbonyl say propanone?

Thanks a bunch =D

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone can please give me an answer?

You can't even begin to answer this question unless you show some work. What oxidation conditions are you given?

BTW, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aniline" doesn't have a carbon side chain.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the oxidation of phenylethanal?

The oxidation of phenylethanal is a chemical reaction in which phenylethanal (also known as benzaldehyde) is converted into a carboxylic acid. This reaction involves the loss of a hydrogen atom from the aldehyde group and the addition of an oxygen atom from an oxidizing agent.

2. What are the products of the oxidation of phenylethanal?

The products of the oxidation of phenylethanal are benzoic acid and water. Benzoic acid is a carboxylic acid that contains a carboxyl group (-COOH) and is commonly used as a food preservative.

3. What is the mechanism of the oxidation of phenylethanal?

The mechanism of the oxidation of phenylethanal involves the formation of an intermediate called an enolate, which is then attacked by the oxidizing agent to form a carboxylic acid. This reaction is typically catalyzed by a metal ion, such as copper or silver.

4. What are the conditions required for the oxidation of phenylethanal?

The oxidation of phenylethanal typically requires a strong oxidizing agent, such as potassium permanganate or chromic acid, and a suitable solvent, such as water or an alcohol. The reaction is usually carried out at elevated temperatures and under acidic or basic conditions.

5. What are the applications of the oxidation of phenylethanal?

The oxidation of phenylethanal is commonly used in organic synthesis to convert aldehydes into carboxylic acids. It is also used in the production of benzoic acid, which has various industrial and pharmaceutical applications. Additionally, this reaction is a key step in the synthesis of many important chemicals, such as cinnamic acid and mandelic acid.