1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oxidation of secondary alcohols

1. Sep 23, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Oxidation of secondary alcohols

I need help on the oxidation of alcohols.

I want to know if butan-2-ol was partially oxidised would it result in butanone.

Also what does the full oxidation of butan-2-ol result in? (I think it is butanoic acid but I am not sure. )
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2007 #2
    butan-2-ol is a secondary alcohol (middle of the chain) and can only oxidize to the ketone, butanone. A primary (end of the chain) can fully oxidize to the acid.
  4. Sep 24, 2007 #3
    primary alcohols are first oxidised to aldehydes, then further oxidised to carboxylic acids.
    secondary alcohols are oxidised only to ketones.

As long as there are more than 1 hydrogen atom on the carbon atom containing the OH group, oxidation can occur. (hope i'm right for this one)
  5. Sep 24, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sounds good. If you want to be pedantic about it, you could argue that the complete oxidation would yield 4CO2, however.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?