Oxidation Reaction: SO2 to H2SO4?

In summary: So two hydrogen atoms and two oxygen atom would then oxidize it to sulfuric acid?Yes, two hydrogen atoms and two oxygen atom would then oxidize it to sulfuric acid.
gracy
Is it right to say sulfur dioxide is oxidized to sulfuric acid? SO2 is converted into H2SO4, hydrogen is added so it should be reduction rather than oxidation.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I don't think I have ever heard about a method of producing sulfuric acid that uses hydrogen, can you elaborate?

Borek said:
I don't think I have ever heard about a method of producing sulfuric acid that uses hydrogen, can you elaborate?
I meant previously it was SO2(no hydrogen atom) and then it became H2SO4 (two hydrogen atoms)so it should be reduction why it is written in my textbook that SO2 is oxidised when it get converted into H2SO4?

Formal oxidation states for oxygen are always -2. Minus eight for oxygen, plus two for two hydrogens, leaves plus six for sulfur. Compare that to plus four for sulfur in sulfur dioxide, and the sulfur has been further oxidized.

gracy said:
I meant previously it was SO2(no hydrogen atom) and then it became H2SO4 (two hydrogen atoms)so it should be reduction

Why do you ignore two added oxygen atoms?

Borek said:
Why do you ignore two added oxygen atoms?
Ok.So two hydrogen atoms and two oxygen atom ,so tie then why oxidation not reduction?

Bystander said:
Formal oxidation states for oxygen are always -2. Minus eight for oxygen, plus two for two hydrogens, leaves plus six for sulfur. Compare that to plus four for sulfur in sulfur dioxide, and the sulfur has been further oxidized.
So we should say sulfur is oxidized rather than SO2 is oxidized.

The starting state is sulfur dioxide, and it has been further oxidized.

Likes gracy
gracy said:
Ok.So two hydrogen atoms and two oxygen atom ,so tie then why oxidation not reduction?

Why do you assume effect of a single oxygen atom is identical to effect of single hydrogen atom? Oxygen accepts two electrons, hydrogen donates one.

Likes gracy
Bystander said:
The starting state is sulfur dioxide, and it has been further oxidized.
OK I understood.

1. What is an oxidation reaction?

An oxidation reaction is a chemical process in which a substance loses electrons, resulting in an increase in its oxidation state. This process is often accompanied by the production of heat and light.

2. How does SO2 react to form H2SO4?

SO2, or sulfur dioxide, is oxidized by oxygen in the presence of water to form H2SO4, or sulfuric acid. This reaction is commonly known as the contact process.

3. What are the uses of H2SO4?

H2SO4 is a highly corrosive and versatile chemical that is used in a variety of industries. It is commonly used in the production of fertilizers, dyes, detergents, and pharmaceuticals. It is also used in the purification of metals and as a catalyst in chemical reactions.

4. What are the environmental impacts of the SO2 to H2SO4 oxidation reaction?

The oxidation of SO2 to H2SO4 is a major contributor to acid rain, which can have detrimental effects on the environment and human health. It can also contribute to the formation of smog and harm vegetation and aquatic life.

5. What are the safety precautions to take when working with H2SO4?

H2SO4 is a highly corrosive and toxic substance that should be handled with extreme caution. It can cause severe burns and damage to the eyes, skin, and respiratory system. Safety precautions include wearing protective gear, working in a well-ventilated area, and handling the substance with care.