Oxidation Reduction Reactions

In summary, when balancing redox equations, it is important to consider additional factors such as combining half reactions and accounting for the transfer of electrons. In the equation Ag + NO3 - à Ag + + NO, the oxidation and reduction half reactions are 3Ag -----> 3Ag+ + 3e- and NO3- + 3e- + 4H+ -----> NO + 2H2O, respectively. The net balanced equation is 3Ag + NO3 - + 4H+ -----> 3Ag+ + NO + 2H2O.
southerngirl5390
Ok I'm trying to do my chemistry homework and well I'm stuck. I have the first few questions done I'm stuck on question 5 step 3, an I'm not sure the other are correct. I still have no idea how to balance equations and well here we go again with balanceing things...

1. What is the difference between an oxidizing agent and a reducing agent?
Reduction means what it says: the oxidation number is reduced in reduction. Oxidation is the reverse process: the oxidation number of an atom is increased during oxidation.
2. When first learning to balance equations, we learned that the number of atoms of each element in the products and reactants must be equivalent. What are some additional factors that must be taken into account when balancing equations for redox reactions?

Combine the half reactions to eliminate the electrons from the overall reaction.

3. What are half reactions?
A half-reaction is simply one which shows either reduction OR oxidation, but not both.

4. What two aspects of the half-reaction equations must be balanced?
atoms and charge in order

5. For the equation Ag + NO3 - à Ag + + NO
(Note: This reaction takes place in an acidic solution.)

Step 1: What substance is reduced?
Oxygen
Step 2: What substance is oxidized?
Silver
Step 3: What is the half reaction for oxidation?

Step 4: What is the half reaction for reduction?

Step 5: What is the net balanced equation?

Step 6: What is the reduced equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
This looks like silver metal is being oxidized to Ag+. The oxidizing species is nitrate (acidic). Can you write a half reaction for what happens to silver?

ag-->ag+ ?? I'm not sure if that's what you mean but what happens to silver is it is oxidized ag-->ag+...? correct?

Where did the electron go? Show everything. Example

Fe -----> Fe+2 + 2e- (Half reaction)

You must account for the nitrate half reaction as well. A good place to start is to write down an equation that is balanced.

You mean like this?
Ag---->Ag+ 2g-
and
NO3---->NO+O3

Red. agents are always oxidised
Oxi. agents are always reduced...right

since metals are e- donors...they are reducing agents! here Ag is the reducing agent. oxidation state(OS) of Ag is 0...that of Ag+ is +1... this confirms oxidation of Ag, i.e oxidation state has increased.

NO3- acts as an oxidising agent... OS of N in NO3- is +5 and that in NO is +2
there has been a decrease in oxidation number... this confirms reduction of NO3- to NO, i.e. OS of Nitrogen has decreased

oxidation... Ag -------> Ag+ + e-

reduction NO3- + e- ------> NO

wait a sec... are you sure of the above eqn? the half eqn for oxidising eqn is ok...but for the reducing one... can't find out...sry

the NO3- is supposed to accept e-,,, but NO cannot be formed... well I'm not sure

No I'm not sure of anything at this point all i know is what my teacher told me. Thats why I'm hopeing someone can help me and my chemically challenged self...
For the equation Ag + NO3 - à Ag + + NO
(Note: This reaction takes place in an acidic solution.)

Step 1: What substance is reduced?

Step 2: What substance is oxidized?

Step 3: What is the half reaction for oxidation?

Step 4: What is the half reaction for reduction?

Step 5: What is the net balanced equation?

Step 6: What is the reduced equation?

southerngirl5390 said:
You mean like this?
Ag---->Ag+ 2g-
and
NO3---->NO+O3

Did you just misspell 'e-'?

Balance the nitrate reaction so that there are as many oxygens on the left as the right. Show charges! NO3 is not correct. It's NO3-. You MUST account for all of these charges to even begin to answer this question correctly.

Check your work carefully!

Last edited:
Ag---->Ag+2e-
and
NO3- ----> NO+3e-

?

refer to post #8.

NO3- has nitrogen in the +5 oxidation state. NO has the nitrogen in the +2 state. This is a 3 electron reduction of nitrogen. The electrons come from the silver metal. Silver is oxidized from a zero valency to a +1.

Ag --------> Ag+ + 1e- (Ag oxidized, half reaction)

NO3- + 3e- ---------> NO + 2O-2

It was done in acidic solution and those two O-2's are just dying to be water molecules. Add some H+ to the nitrate half reaction to react with the O-2's.

NO3- + 3e- + 4H+ --------> NO + 2H2O (NO3- reduced, half reaction)

Multiply the silver half reaction by three to account for the 3e-'s in the above reaction and you get:

3Ag --------> 3Ag+ + 3e-

combining the two reactions yields:

3Ag + NO3- + 3e- + 4H+ ---------> 3Ag+ + 3e- + NO + 2H2O (net balanced equation)

Canceling the 3e-'s from both sides of the reaction yields:

3Ag + NO3- + 4H+ -----------> 3Ag+ + NO + 2H2O (reduced equation)

What is an oxidation reduction reaction?

An oxidation reduction reaction, also known as a redox reaction, is a chemical reaction in which electrons are transferred between reactants. Oxidation refers to the loss of electrons, while reduction refers to the gain of electrons.

What is the role of oxidation reduction reactions in everyday life?

Oxidation reduction reactions play a crucial role in many processes that occur in our daily lives. For example, cellular respiration and photosynthesis, which are essential for the functioning of living organisms, are redox reactions. Rusting of iron, combustion, and metabolism of drugs in our bodies are also examples of oxidation reduction reactions.

How do you balance an oxidation reduction reaction?

To balance an oxidation reduction reaction, you need to ensure that the number of electrons lost by the oxidizing agent is equal to the number of electrons gained by the reducing agent. This can be achieved by adding coefficients and adjusting the charges of the reactants and products.

What factors affect the rate of oxidation reduction reactions?

The rate of oxidation reduction reactions can be affected by several factors, including the concentrations of reactants, temperature, pressure, and the presence of a catalyst. Higher concentrations, higher temperature, and the use of a catalyst can increase the rate of the reaction.

Can oxidation reduction reactions be reversed?

Yes, oxidation reduction reactions can be reversed. This is known as a redox reaction in the opposite direction. For example, when a metal is oxidized, it can be reduced back to its original form by adding electrons. This process is commonly used in electroplating and rechargeable batteries.