True or False: Nitrogen Family Oxidation States

In summary, the nitrogen family is a group of non-metallic elements in the periodic table that includes nitrogen, phosphorus, arsenic, antimony, and bismuth. These elements share similar chemical properties and have varying oxidation states, with nitrogen typically exhibiting -3 or +3 and the others ranging from -3 to +5. These oxidation states can change depending on the reaction and greatly affect the reactivity of the elements. The trend in oxidation states within the group follows a pattern from -3 to +5 as you move from top to bottom, influenced by the number of valence electrons and electronegativity.
Jules18
The question is True/False.

The only oxidation states exhibited by members of the Nitrogen family are: -3, 0, +3, +5

The answer is false, and I don't know why. All those oxidation #s seemed to make sense to me, and I couldn't think of any others.

Any thoughts as to why that's not true?

Physics news on Phys.org
What nitrogen oxides do you know?

--

I'm used to figuring out oxidation by using that s2p3 thing and deciding what would make the orbitals more stable, but I've heard that they don't always obey those rules so other than that I'm clueless.

1. What is the nitrogen family in the periodic table?

The nitrogen family, also known as Group 15 or the pnictogens, is a group of non-metallic elements in the periodic table that includes nitrogen, phosphorus, arsenic, antimony, and bismuth. These elements share similar chemical properties and have five valence electrons in their outermost energy level.

2. What are the oxidation states of the nitrogen family elements?

The oxidation states of the nitrogen family elements vary depending on the element. Nitrogen typically exhibits an oxidation state of -3 or +3, while phosphorus and arsenic can have oxidation states ranging from -3 to +5. Antimony and bismuth can have oxidation states of -3, +3, or +5.

3. Can oxidation states of nitrogen family elements change?

Yes, oxidation states of elements in the nitrogen family can change depending on the reaction they are involved in. For example, nitrogen can have an oxidation state of -3 in ammonia (NH3) and +3 in nitric acid (HNO3).

4. How do oxidation states affect the reactivity of nitrogen family elements?

Oxidation states can significantly affect the reactivity of nitrogen family elements. Elements with lower oxidation states, such as nitrogen, tend to be less reactive, while those with higher oxidation states, such as arsenic, are more reactive and can form stronger bonds with other elements.

5. What is the trend in oxidation states within the nitrogen family?

The trend in oxidation states within the nitrogen family follows a pattern from -3 to +5 as you move from top to bottom. As you go down the group, the elements gain more valence electrons, making it easier for them to form higher oxidation states. Additionally, the trend in electronegativity also plays a role, with electronegativity decreasing as you go down the group, making it easier for elements to lose electrons and have higher oxidation states.