Oxidation state of TiO2?

1. Hi there! I have a quick question that could use some clarification. According to my textbook, an oxygen atom has an oxidation state of -1 when in the polyatomic ion peroxide, although it's -2 in most other cases. However, I've come across this problem where it asks for the oxidation state of Ti in the compound TiO2. I figured it was +2 since each oxygen atom carries an oxidation state of -1 (because it's a peroxide) and -1(2) is -2, so Ti must have an oxidation state of +2, right? But then when I try to ease my qualms, every single post on the Internet points toward an oxidation state of +4. I don't understand! Is this titanium peroxide or titanium dioxide? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. ~christina~

~christina~ 824
    Gold Member

Peroxides technically have the oxygens bonded to each other. TiO2 is titanium dioxide. It has a oxidation state of +4 because the two oxygens are not bonded to each other and each have an oxidation state of -2. (Two oxygens each having -2 state vs. peroxide oxygen which has O2 (-2) state)

4. Borek

Staff: Mentor

Tina already answered your question correctly. The simplest and shortest answer is: TiO2 is not a peroxide.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2013
  5. Thank you so much! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?