1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oxidation States

1. Jan 31, 2005 #1
    When writing oxidation states, is there a difference between 2+ and +2?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2005 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I believe convention requires that you use +n or -n to represent oxidation states, and m+ or m- to denote the net chrge on some species.

Example : In the radical [itex]SO_4^{~2-} [/itex], the oxidation state of S is [itex]+6[/itex].

4. Jan 31, 2005 #3

movies

Science Advisor

You often see the oxidation state written in Roman numerals, so SVI in Gokul's example.

5. Jan 31, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Even with Roman numerals,u still need the sign.Dor example Sulphur:[tex] S^{II} [/tex] is it for a metalic compound or for a nonmetalic compound...???

Daniel.

6. Feb 1, 2005 #5

movies

Science Advisor

True! I should have written S+VI.

Often times I think that the '+' is assumed unless you use a '-'

7. Feb 1, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The distinction needs to be done each time an nonmetalic compound experinces more than one ON,and of opposite signs.
    So u may use the Roman Numerals at free will,just along you assure yourself that your notation will not raise confusions among the readers...

Daniel.

8. Feb 1, 2005 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have never come across the notation, [itex]Fe^{+II} [/itex] , for example. I've usually seen Roman Numerals designate oxidation states in complexes, but then the oxidation state appears in brackets, not as a superscript.

Ex : dichlorotetramminecobalt(III) chloride

9. Feb 1, 2005 #8
    I must say that I have never come across Roman Numerials in formulae either. Is there an reason to use one instead of the other or are they interchangeable???

The Bob (2004 ©)

10. Feb 1, 2005 #9

chem_tr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I remember that the notation 2+ is preferred over +2, since it can be mixed up with exponential expressions, I mean, when we write [SO4-2]-2, it may confuse somebody, which one is the electronic charge and which one is a mathematical expression? So to distinguish them, charges are written in the form n+ or n-. In my TA years, I explained the issue to the pupils like that and tried to get them used to writing like this. I hope I was not wrong.

11. Feb 1, 2005 #10

movies

Science Advisor

I like chem_tr's explanation. It seems to make the most sense to me.

Maybe the Roman numerals thing I mentioned before is outdated, or at least isn't as common as I thought it was. I'm not even sure where I learned it, but it seems like I see it fairly regularly. It's definitely something that is more associated with metals than organic molecules, probably because metals have more interesting oxidation states. I guess I always assumed that it was to denote the oxidation state of the metal without confusing it for a formal charge (as in a net neutral organometallic complex like ferrocene, which contains Fe2+).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?