Oxidation States: A Closer Look at 2+ and +2

In summary: But that could just be me. In summary, Different notation is used for organic and inorganic compounds with opposite charges.
RichRobX
When writing oxidation states, is there a difference between 2+ and +2?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I believe convention requires that you use +n or -n to represent oxidation states, and m+ or m- to denote the net chrge on some species.

Example : In the radical [itex]SO_4^{~2-} [/itex], the oxidation state of S is [itex]+6[/itex].

You often see the oxidation state written in Roman numerals, so SVI in Gokul's example.

Even with Roman numerals,u still need the sign.Dor example Sulphur:[tex] S^{II} [/tex] is it for a metalic compound or for a nonmetalic compound...?

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Even with Roman numerals,u still need the sign.Dor example Sulphur:[tex] S^{II} [/tex] is it for a metalic compound or for a nonmetalic compound...?

Daniel.

True! I should have written S+VI.

Often times I think that the '+' is assumed unless you use a '-'

The distinction needs to be done each time an nonmetalic compound experinces more than one ON,and of opposite signs.
So u may use the Roman Numerals at free will,just along you assure yourself that your notation will not raise confusions among the readers...

Daniel.

I have never come across the notation, [itex]Fe^{+II} [/itex] , for example. I've usually seen Roman Numerals designate oxidation states in complexes, but then the oxidation state appears in brackets, not as a superscript.

Ex : dichlorotetramminecobalt(III) chloride

Gokul43201 said:
I have never come across the notation, [itex]Fe^{+II} [/itex] , for example. I've usually seen Roman Numerals designate oxidation states in complexes, but then the oxidation state appears in brackets, not as a superscript.

Ex : dichlorotetramminecobalt(III) chloride
I must say that I have never come across Roman Numerials in formulae either. Is there an reason to use one instead of the other or are they interchangeable?

The Bob (2004 ©)

I remember that the notation 2+ is preferred over +2, since it can be mixed up with exponential expressions, I mean, when we write [SO4-2]-2, it may confuse somebody, which one is the electronic charge and which one is a mathematical expression? So to distinguish them, charges are written in the form n+ or n-. In my TA years, I explained the issue to the pupils like that and tried to get them used to writing like this. I hope I was not wrong.

I like chem_tr's explanation. It seems to make the most sense to me.

Maybe the Roman numerals thing I mentioned before is outdated, or at least isn't as common as I thought it was. I'm not even sure where I learned it, but it seems like I see it fairly regularly. It's definitely something that is more associated with metals than organic molecules, probably because metals have more interesting oxidation states. I guess I always assumed that it was to denote the oxidation state of the metal without confusing it for a formal charge (as in a net neutral organometallic complex like ferrocene, which contains Fe2+).

1. What is the difference between Oxidation State 2+ and +2?

Oxidation state 2+ and +2 are essentially the same thing. The "+" symbol is usually written before the number to indicate the positive charge of the ion, but it can also be written after the number. So, +2 and 2+ are interchangeable and represent the same oxidation state.

2. How are oxidation states determined in chemical compounds?

Oxidation states are determined by assigning a charge to each atom in a compound based on the electronegativity of the elements and the number of valence electrons. For example, in NaCl, sodium has an oxidation state of 1+ because it tends to lose 1 electron to become more stable, and chlorine has an oxidation state of 1- because it tends to gain 1 electron to become more stable.

3. Can an element have multiple oxidation states?

Yes, an element can have multiple oxidation states. This is because oxidation states are dependent on the environment and the other elements it is bonded to. For example, iron can have oxidation states of 2+, 3+, and even 6+ depending on the compound it is in.

4. How does oxidation state affect the properties of a compound?

The oxidation state of an element can affect its reactivity, solubility, and other chemical properties. For example, a compound with a higher oxidation state may be more reactive and have stronger bonds, while a compound with a lower oxidation state may be more soluble in water.

5. Can oxidation states change in a chemical reaction?

Yes, oxidation states can change in a chemical reaction. This is because during a reaction, electrons are transferred between atoms, causing their oxidation states to change. This change in oxidation state is what drives many reactions and determines the products that will be formed.