Oxidation States

• Thread starter Cheman
  • Start date
Oxidation States....

I have read that the "idea of oxidation states is contrived." Why then do we use the idea and why does it work if it is not really the case? Why should we suppose everything acts like its ionic, etc?

Thanks. :smile:

Answers and Replies

Cheman said:
I have read that the "idea of oxidation states is contrived." Why then do we use the idea and why does it work if it is not really the case? Why should we suppose everything acts like its ionic, etc?
I am not sure but I think it means that the compound Cupper Sulphate can have different oxidation states depending on the valency of copper.

Oxidation states is onyl related (as far as I know) to ionic bonding so the idea is not used (again, as far as I know) for covalent bonding.

The Bob (2004 ©)

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Question:If the idea of oxydation states (oxydation numbers,as i know of it,acronym ON) is flawed,how would you explain REDOX rections in general chemistry...??

Daniel.

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Cheman said:

Thanks. :smile:
It works because :
(1) Molecules are electrically neutral, no matter whether they are covalent or ionic,
(2) Charge is conserved in a reaction, irrespective of the nature of the constituents.

Can i ask you guys somting

You guys know alot about rust... so can you help me with a little problom.I have a antique dagger, can i tell its age,but the about of rusting...and it was inside,and dry for most of its age lenght. and if you guys can determan about how old it is then ill send you some pictures of it.thanks!!!!!!!!! :biggrin: