Oxidative Additions: Don't Get How Metal Oxidizes?

• Thread starter CrimpJiggler
  • Start date
In summary, oxidative additions refer to the reaction where oxygen gains two electrons from a metal, resulting in the oxidation of the metal. The opposite reaction, where a metal gains electrons, is known as reduction. The definition of oxidation and reduction is based on the transfer of electrons. In the case of metal oxides, carbon acts as a reducing agent and reduces the metal atom by forming a stable gas with oxygen. This process is not solely based on electronegativity, but rather the reactivity series of metals. Electronegativity can be used as a tool to determine the ionic or covalent nature of a bond and the partial charge in a polar molecule.
CrimpJiggler
I don't get how oxidative additions "oxidize" the metal. For example, methyl chloride. Let's say the chloride anion donates 2 electrons to form a bond with the metal. The metal gains 2 new electrons so this is a reduction isn't it? The metals oxidation state should increase by 2. The methyl cation will also form a bond using two of the electrons from the metal atoms oxidation state should go down 2 again. I don't see how the metals oxidation state increases by 2.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
When oxygen reacts with something like a metal the oxygen atom gains two electrons and the metal loses two (e.g. Cu). Copper is oxidised as it loses electrons.

Reducesing is the opposite. The metal gaining electron would be reduction. Hense Carbon is know as a reducing agent for many metal oxides as the metal atoms gain electrons to form a metal solid.

That is how oxidation and reduction are defined.

Thanks, I learned a couple of things from your reply. It didn't answer my question though. I've figured out the answer to the question though. Using an oxidative addition of HCl as an example, the Cl- anion adds to the metal and since the Cl- donated both electrons, the oxidation state doesn't change. It didn't reduce the metal there though because Cl is far more electronegative than the metal and if the Cl leaves, its taking both electrons with it. The H+ counterion must now add to the metal and since it has no electrons, it takes 2 electrons from the metal to form the new bond. Hence, the oxidation state of the metal increases by 2.

What you said there got me thinking. You said carbon reduces the metal atom in metal oxides. The metal atom is less electronegative than carbon though. Therefore, is it only because carbon forms a stable gas with oxygen that this happens? In other words, the reaction would be in an equilibrium which favors the metal oxide but the product of the reaction between carbon and oxygen, since its a gas, leaves the reaction site as soon as its formed.

Last edited:
Electronegivity difference is a tool for telling you hove ionic or covelent a bond is. It also can be used to decide where the partial charge in a molecule resides if the bonds are polar. I would use it for more than that. Carbon reduces metals below itself in the reactivity series. I donlt think it has much to with electronegitivity.

Dear colleague,

I understand your confusion regarding the process of oxidative additions and how it leads to the oxidation of metal atoms. Allow me to clarify this concept for you.

Oxidative addition is a type of reaction in which a metal atom or ion undergoes an increase in its oxidation state by combining with a ligand or molecule. This process involves the transfer of electrons from the ligand to the metal atom, resulting in the formation of a new bond between them.

In the case of methyl chloride, the chloride anion donates two electrons to the metal atom, forming a bond. As you correctly pointed out, this is a reduction process for the metal atom, leading to a decrease in its oxidation state by two units. However, at the same time, the methyl cation also forms a bond with the metal atom, utilizing two electrons from the metal. This results in the oxidation of the metal atom by two units.

Overall, the oxidative addition process involves both reduction and oxidation reactions, leading to a net increase in the oxidation state of the metal atom. This increase in oxidation state is what we refer to as the "oxidation" of the metal.

I hope this explanation helps you better understand the concept of oxidative additions and how it leads to the oxidation of metal atoms. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Best regards,

What is oxidative addition?

Oxidative addition is a chemical reaction in which a metal atom or ion adds to a molecule, resulting in the formation of a new bond between the metal and the molecule. This process involves the oxidation of the metal, hence the name oxidative addition.

How does oxidative addition occur?

Oxidative addition occurs when a metal atom or ion reacts with a molecule that has a polarized bond, such as a double bond, triple bond, or a polarized single bond. The metal atom or ion transfers an electron to the molecule, resulting in the formation of a new bond between the metal and the molecule.

What is the significance of oxidative addition in organic chemistry?

Oxidative addition is an important reaction in organic chemistry because it allows for the formation of new carbon-carbon and carbon-heteroatom bonds. This is particularly useful in the synthesis of complex organic molecules.

What factors influence the rate of oxidative addition?

The rate of oxidative addition is influenced by several factors, including the nature of the metal, the nature of the ligands attached to the metal, and the nature of the molecule being added to the metal. The strength of the metal-ligand bond and the polarizability of the molecule also play a role in the rate of oxidative addition.

Can oxidative addition reactions be reversed?

Yes, oxidative addition reactions can be reversed through a process called reductive elimination. This involves the reverse reaction, where the metal and the molecule are released from each other, resulting in the formation of a new bond between the two molecules. This process is used in catalytic cycles to recycle the metal catalyst.