Why Must Alkene Oxidative Cleavage Solutions be Basic and Hot?

• Thread starter Clari
  • Start date
In summary, alkenes are oxidatively cleaved to alts of carboxylic acids, by hot basic permanganate solutions. However, I don't understand why the solutions need to be basic and hot? Why can't it be cold or acidic?
Clari
Alkenes are oxidatively cleaved to alts of carboxylic acids, by hot basic permanganate solutions. However, I don't understand why the solutions need to be basic and hot? Why can't it be cold or acidic?

Please tell me. :confused:

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hot reactions proceed faster than cold reactions simply because the molecules have more energy, and also they collide more often. acidic or basic usually has to do with some sort of catalytic reaction IDK much aboot organic chem, so I will leave that question to other members.

I think that an excess of OH- in solution facilitates the reaction by cleaving the reduced manganese species off of the organic substrate. It's probably also necessary to initiate the final oxidation from aldehyde to carboxylic acid. In acidic solution then there wouldn't be any good nucleophiles, just water.

A primary alchol can become a carboxylic acid but the alchol needs an acidificed dichromate solution (e.g. potassium dichromate solution) or sulphuric acid (well simply concentrated acid). If I have understood the question, you are asking how to make a carboxylic from an alchol. So I would say it has to be acidic.

To make an alchol from an alkene does need a base for the electrophilic addition.

The Bob (2004 ©)

In the case of a chromium oxidation you need the acid to facilitate making chromic acid, which is the active oxidizing agent. It's a different mechanism.

That would explain it then. That is the only mechanism I have come across at the moment.

The Bob (2004 ©)

I read that acidic KMnO4 can also oxidize alcohols and aldehydes to carboxylic acids, so maybe the "basic" part isn't so important for that. I also read that hydroxide accelerates the cleavage of the manganese species after the dihydroxylation step of the alkene cleavage process. So, I would guess that the nucleophile is most important there.

The same effect is true with OsO4. If you use a stoichiometric amount of the osmium, then you have to do a workup that is capable of cleaving the osmium-organic complex before you can isolate the dihydroxylation product.

What is oxidative cleavage of alkenes?

Oxidative cleavage of alkenes is a chemical reaction in which a double bond in an alkene molecule is broken by the addition of an oxidizing agent, resulting in the formation of two separate products.

What is the purpose of oxidative cleavage of alkenes?

The purpose of oxidative cleavage of alkenes is to convert a double bond in an alkene molecule into two functional groups, which can then be used for further chemical reactions or synthesis of other compounds.

What are some common oxidizing agents used in oxidative cleavage of alkenes?

Some common oxidizing agents used in oxidative cleavage of alkenes include potassium permanganate, ozone, and potassium dichromate.

What factors influence the rate of oxidative cleavage of alkenes?

The rate of oxidative cleavage of alkenes can be influenced by several factors, including the nature and concentration of the oxidizing agent, the structure and steric hindrance of the alkene molecule, and the reaction conditions such as temperature and solvent.

What are some applications of oxidative cleavage of alkenes in industrial processes?

Oxidative cleavage of alkenes has various industrial applications, such as in the production of aldehydes and ketones, synthesis of pharmaceuticals and agrochemicals, and in the manufacture of plastics and polymers.