Oxide Issues

1. I'm working with clathrate compounds in a glove box filled with Argon. My problem is that there always remains a small amount of oxygen in the glove box even after multiple purges. This oxygen binds and makes an oxide layer on my clathrates. I don't know how to avoid this and am trying to find some suggestions. My goal is to achieve a pure clathrate to measure thermodynamic data with and this oxide layer throws all my data off. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Danger

Danger 9,879
    Gold Member

If this is a pumping problem, have you tried introducing chemicals to absorb or adsorb the remaining oxygen after the argon is sealed in?

4. Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

How much oxygen, or rather what is the level of oxygen in the Ar atmosphere. In such cases, one might use a chemical reaction to bind the oxygen, e.g., a getter such as a heated Ti or Zr metal in the form of a mesh, or one could use cracked ammonia for a reducing atmosphere, but hydrogen is flammable or explosive.

5. Q_Goest

Q_Goest 2,949
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook