O2 Absorption Capacity Varies w/ Temperature: Alkyl Pyrogallol Solution

• Thread starter ch hitech
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oxygen
In summary, the speaker is looking for a liquid that can absorb oxygen at different temperatures. They have heard of an alkyl pyrogallol solution, but are considering other options due to the small amount of oxygen that can be stored through solubility differences. They are in need of a regular supply of oxygen for a project and are looking for a highly engineered solution. The speaker is interested in technologies used in oxygen concentrators and wants to know how to produce oxygen in a reasonable manner for their project.
ch hitech
I am looking for a liquid whose oxygen absorption capacity varies with temperature. I have heard of alkyl pyrogallol solution but there are different solutions of pyrogallol in alkaline solution . I wanted to produce oxygen with the help of this o2 absorbing capacity variation with temperature.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
As long are you are thinking about relying on the solubility differences, amount of oxygen stored will be very small.

Then is there any other process which can provide me with regular supply of oxygen because the requirement for my project is regular absorbing of oxygen from air that too in a highly engineered (as small volume as possible) manner. The substance should be instantly made unsaturated and saturated(of oxygen) such that I can store the oxygen thus collected.

Last edited:
Have you considered technologies used in oxygen concentrators? How much oxygen do you need? Why you can't use just air?

I'll have a look at them. I jus want to demonstrate complete combustion of fuels (with sufficient amount of oxygen provided to them). hence to reduce smoke produced. This could be done with me purchasing oxygen,but I jus want to know how can we produce oxygen in a reasonable manner on the go.

Last edited:

What is the purpose of studying O2 absorption capacity?

The purpose of studying O2 absorption capacity is to understand how different factors, such as temperature, can affect the amount of oxygen that can be absorbed by a substance. This information can be useful in various industries, such as in the development of new materials or in the optimization of chemical processes.

What is the relationship between temperature and O2 absorption capacity?

The relationship between temperature and O2 absorption capacity is an inverse one. This means that as temperature increases, the O2 absorption capacity decreases. This is because higher temperatures cause the molecules in the substance to move faster, making it more difficult for oxygen molecules to be absorbed.

How does the type of substance affect O2 absorption capacity?

The type of substance can greatly affect O2 absorption capacity. In the case of the Alkyl Pyrogallol Solution, the presence of alkyl groups in the solution increases the solubility of oxygen, resulting in a higher absorption capacity compared to other substances.

Why is it important to study O2 absorption capacity at different temperatures?

Studying O2 absorption capacity at different temperatures is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of substances under varying conditions. This can provide valuable insights into the properties of the substance and its potential applications in different temperature environments.

How can O2 absorption capacity be measured?

O2 absorption capacity can be measured using various techniques, such as UV-Vis spectroscopy or gas chromatography. These methods involve measuring the changes in the concentration of oxygen in the solution over time, allowing for the determination of the absorption capacity at different temperatures.