Oxygen Phase Diagram: Pressure & Liquefy 0-50 atm

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to find the pressure at which oxygen will liquefy under various pressures, specifically between 0-50 atm. The individual has searched for a phase diagram, but suggests finding the equilibrium vapor pressure of oxygen instead. They recommend using Google or referencing handbooks for this information.
pixelpuffin
i need to know what pressure oxygen will liquefy at under various pressures but i can't find a phase diagram anywhere
any link phase diagram that shows pressures 0-50 atm would be useful

Physics news on Phys.org
i searched for triple point of oxygen
this contains a phase diag
http://magdalenawitkiewicz.pl/temple.php?q=triple-point-of-oxygen

Last edited by a moderator:
pixelpuffin said:
i need to know what pressure oxygen will liquefy at under various pressures but i can't find a phase diagram anywhere
any link phase diagram that shows pressures 0-50 atm would be useful
You don't need the whole phase diagram. All you need to know is the equilibrium vapor pressure of oxygen (as a function of temperature). You should be able to find this using google. If not, look in the handbook of chemistry and physics or the chemical engineers' handbook.

Try fluid properties at NIST.

The phase diagram of oxygen shows the relationship between pressure and temperature at which oxygen exists in its solid, liquid, and gas phases. At atmospheric pressure (1 atm), oxygen exists as a gas at temperatures above -218.8°C. As the pressure is increased, the temperature at which oxygen liquefies decreases. At 50 atm, oxygen will liquefy at a temperature of -117.5°C. This information is represented on the phase diagram by the line separating the gas and liquid phases, known as the vaporization curve.

To find a phase diagram that shows pressures 0-50 atm, I recommend checking scientific databases or websites such as NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology) or IUPAC (International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry). These sources often have detailed phase diagrams for various substances, including oxygen. Additionally, a simple internet search for "oxygen phase diagram" should also provide various resources with the desired information.

1. What is the purpose of an oxygen phase diagram?

An oxygen phase diagram is a graphical representation of the different phases of oxygen at different pressures and temperatures. It helps scientists understand and predict how oxygen behaves under different conditions, such as changes in pressure or temperature.

2. What is the significance of the pressure range of 0-50 atm in the oxygen phase diagram?

The pressure range of 0-50 atm is the typical range of pressures that oxygen experiences in various environments on Earth. This includes atmospheric pressure at sea level (1 atm) and pressures found at higher altitudes or in pressurized containers.

3. How does oxygen behave at pressures below 1 atm on the phase diagram?

At pressures below 1 atm, oxygen exists as a gas. As the pressure decreases, the molecules of oxygen become more spread out and have more space between them. This allows them to move around more freely and behave like a gas.

4. What happens to oxygen at pressures between 1-50 atm on the phase diagram?

At pressures between 1-50 atm, oxygen can exist in two phases: gas and liquid. As the pressure increases, the molecules of oxygen become more tightly packed and can no longer move around freely. This causes the gas to condense into a liquid.

5. How is oxygen liquefied at high pressures on the phase diagram?

To liquefy oxygen at high pressures, it must first be compressed to a pressure greater than 50 atm. This forces the molecules to become even more tightly packed, causing them to condense into a liquid state. The liquid oxygen can then be stored or used for various purposes.