Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oxygen to sulphur ?

1. Sep 8, 2005 #1
    I am not sure if this question is even in the correct thread but please bear with me. I have a theory about the smell of sulphur following lightning strikes or extreme electrical activity in the atmosphere. (this has been quite well documted). Would it be possible for a very high voltage to change a small number of Oxygen atoms into Sulphur atoms or a compound of sulphur ? I confess, unfortunately am not a physicist (or anything like) just a person with a perhaps an overimaginitive brain !
    looking forward to comments (destructive or otherwise :rolleyes: )
    Paul D...Guernsey

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2005 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Fusing oxygen into sulphur has an extremely low probability. Besides, sulphur itself is odorless - it is the combustion of sulphur that produces a distinctive odor. This odor is very similar to the smells of ozone and nitrogen dioxide, both of which are far more likely to form from the main components of air.

4. Sep 9, 2005 #3
    Gokul,
    Many thanks for that and the alternative explanation.
    Paul D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?