Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oxygene as an ingredient

1. Feb 1, 2010 #1
    I saw a dog teeth cleaning solution with an ingredient "oxygene" in it. I can't find Oxygene on the internet and it may be a "made up" name for something less gentle sounding. I would like to buy the product, (Oxy-Fresh) but not if it will harm my dog in the long run. Anyone know what oxygene may actually be? Thanks, Carol10

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2010 #2

turbo

Gold Member

That's a trade-name for Chlorine Dioxide. I don't think I would dump that stuff into my dog's drinking water. I was a process chemist in a pulp mill for a number of years, and we used ClO2 to bleach the lignin out of the pulp and whiten it.

4. Feb 1, 2010 #3

turbo

Gold Member

If you want to do good things for your dog's dental health, buy it a hard rubber chew toy with lots of nubbles and crevices. I bought my dog a Pup Treads hard rubber bone, and it's his favorite chew-toy.

5. Feb 2, 2010 #4

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That would actually be sodium chlorite. The chlorine dioxide is released when the solubilized chlorite is acidified by the stuff in your mouth and by the other ingredients in the formulation. The product contains: Deionized Water (Aqua), Oxygene® (Stabilized Chlorine Dioxide), Zinc Acetate, Sodium Citrate, Chlorophyllin-Copper Complex, Sodium Benzoate, Sodium Hydroxide, Citric Acid

Stabilized chlorine dioxide = sodium chlorite

It is pretty safe stuff in smallish quantities as is found in these products.

Flouride is much more dangerous IMO.

6. Feb 2, 2010 #5

turbo

Gold Member

Well, I'm not going to brush my dog's teeth with fluoride, either. :biggrin: BTW, the stuff referenced in the OP is meant to be introduced into your dog's water, for ingestion. Give your dog a balanced diet with crunchy food, and some tough chew-toys, and dental health will improve and their breath won't be a problem.

Another thing that I don't get...why fixate on a dog's breath? Generally, what comes out of the other end is far more potent.

7. Feb 3, 2010 #6

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Because they don't lick your face with the other end?:wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook