Ozone Solubility in Water and Its Potential Health Impact

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of ozone to saturate tap water in a 60 liter tank, and the potential for ozone leaks into the atmosphere and potential inhalation concerns. The use of an airstone for saturation is mentioned, and there is a question about how to keep the undissolved ozone level low in the water.
yesiamdumb
Hi everyone

Let say i have a 60 liters water tank filled with tap water (no fluoride). And i keep this 60 liters of water saturated with ozone at 600 ORP for 24 hours. The saturation method is just simple airstone zone diffusing method.
so, will this ozone gas leaks(or diffuse out) out to the atmosphere from the ozone saturated water?

i am asking this because I am worried about the ozone inhaling problem.

Thank you

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I assume tank is opened (otherwise you wouldn't be able to use an airstone because of the pressure buildup). If so, there will be definitely some ozone leaks. Whether they will be large enough for the ozone to be harmful is another question.

Hi Borek
Thank you for your reply.
Do you have any idea how to make keep the un-dissolved ozone level low in the water solutions?

Thank you

Not sure what your question is. In general to keep the concentration at some level you should monitor it and add ozone when the concentration goes under the lower limit. With some knowledge about dynamics of the concentration changes there is no need to monitor the upper limit.

1. How does ozone dissolve in water?

Ozone dissolves in water due to its high reactivity with the molecules in water. It can react with both the hydrogen and oxygen atoms in water to form various compounds, including hydrogen peroxide and hydroxyl radicals.

2. What factors affect the solubility of ozone in water?

The solubility of ozone in water is affected by temperature, pressure, and the presence of other dissolved substances. Higher temperatures and pressures can increase the solubility, while the presence of dissolved substances can decrease it.

3. How is the solubility of ozone in water measured?

The solubility of ozone in water is typically measured in terms of mass of ozone dissolved in a given volume of water. It can also be measured in terms of concentration, usually expressed in parts per million (ppm) or milligrams per liter (mg/L).

4. What is the purpose of dissolving ozone in water?

Dissolving ozone in water is primarily used for water treatment and disinfection. Ozone is a powerful oxidizing agent and can effectively kill bacteria, viruses, and other harmful microorganisms in water.

5. Is ozone solubility in water affected by pH?

Yes, the solubility of ozone in water is affected by the pH of the water. Ozone is more soluble in acidic water, with a pH below 7, than in alkaline water, with a pH above 7. However, the solubility is also dependent on other factors such as temperature and pressure.