1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

P-adic convergence

1. Aug 18, 2005 #1
    Question

Prove that the series [itex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} p^n[/itex] converges in the p-adic metric by showing that the sequence of partial sums converge. What does the series converge to?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2005 #2
    Solution

Let [itex]s_m = \sum_{n=0}^m p^n[/itex] be the sequence of partial sums. Then

[tex]|s_{n+1} - s_n|_p = |p^{n+1}|_p[/tex]

Now

[tex]|p^{n+1}|_p = \frac{1}{p^{n+1}} \rightarrow 0[/tex] as [itex]m,n \rightarrow \infty[/itex] independently in [itex]\mathbb{R}_p[/itex].

Hence the sequence of partial sums [itex]s_m[/itex] converges and the series converges to 0.

4. Aug 18, 2005 #3
    Does this solution look correct to anyone?

Also, I think that the sequence is Cauchy since

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}^p |p^{n+1}|_p = 0[/tex]

5. Aug 19, 2005 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

why do'nt you just work out the partial sums? it is a geometric series.

6. Aug 19, 2005 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This is the third post in which you've immediately answered your own question. What is your purpose in posting them?

7. Aug 19, 2005 #6
    Hey Halls,

I have no idea that my solutions are correct! If they are...that's great!

The sticky on this forums says not to expect any help unless you have a go at the problem first yourself...so I do. If there is nothing wrong with them, please by all means, tell me so I know.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?