Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: P-adic convergence

1. Aug 18, 2005 #1
    Question

Prove that the series [itex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} p^n[/itex] converges in the p-adic metric by showing that the sequence of partial sums converge. What does the series converge to?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2005 #2
    Solution

Let [itex]s_m = \sum_{n=0}^m p^n[/itex] be the sequence of partial sums. Then

[tex]|s_{n+1} - s_n|_p = |p^{n+1}|_p[/tex]

Now

[tex]|p^{n+1}|_p = \frac{1}{p^{n+1}} \rightarrow 0[/tex] as [itex]m,n \rightarrow \infty[/itex] independently in [itex]\mathbb{R}_p[/itex].

Hence the sequence of partial sums [itex]s_m[/itex] converges and the series converges to 0.

4. Aug 18, 2005 #3
    Does this solution look correct to anyone?

Also, I think that the sequence is Cauchy since

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}^p |p^{n+1}|_p = 0[/tex]

5. Aug 19, 2005 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

why do'nt you just work out the partial sums? it is a geometric series.

6. Aug 19, 2005 #5

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

This is the third post in which you've immediately answered your own question. What is your purpose in posting them?

7. Aug 19, 2005 #6
    Hey Halls,

I have no idea that my solutions are correct! If they are...that's great!

The sticky on this forums says not to expect any help unless you have a go at the problem first yourself...so I do. If there is nothing wrong with them, please by all means, tell me so I know.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2005
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook