Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

P and ID of used water system

1. Sep 8, 2007 #1
    Hello everyone, I'm working on water treatement in I need some P and ID (process and intrumentation diagram) of a water treatement plant. If someone have information about that please send me the link on the forums.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

By used water, does one mean waste water, as in sewage?

One can search Google or look on Wikipedia as a start
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sewage_treatment

Then there are technical societies - e.g. American Water Works Association - www.awwa.org

There is the American Society of Civil Engineers - ASCE - www.asce.org

Search on Waster Water, or Sanitary Sewer

Search also - Sanitary Sewer Design and Construction

4. Sep 8, 2007 #3
    Yes I mean wasted water but i need P&ID. But just forget abour it because i think no one will get what i want. But thanks

Last edited: Sep 8, 2007
  5. Sep 8, 2007 #4

Astronuc

I do not think one will find a detailed process and intrumentation diagram (with indication of all essential actuators and instrumentation (process instruments: pumps, valves, ...) on the internet. Such a diagram will be specific to a particular plant or process stream, and will reflect national and local standards, and will be produced by an engineering company for a specific client and project.

6. Sep 9, 2007 #5

Danger

Gold Member

Agreed; I can't see there being any 'universal' solution. It's a situation-specific endeavor. It would be relatively easy to come up with a generic plan (for a real engineer, not for me), but it would have to be 'fine-tuned' to the immediate need.

7. Sep 10, 2007 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have worked on a couple of water treatment plants and I probably still have copies of information like that requested, but not only would it be highly unethical for me to post them, technically I could be sued if I did. I don't think I've ever seen a P and ID that wasn't marked "Confidential".

Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
  8. Sep 10, 2007 #7

Astronuc

I've seen examples of what a P&ID should look like, but like Ivan mentioned, the details of actual facilities are usually confidential or proprietary. One might be able to visit a local Department of Public Works, or Dept of Sanitation, but even then, I doubt that one can obtain the electronic files. Engineering companies have a proprietary interest in protecting their intellectual property, and usually that restricts disclosure of drawings and specifications.

9. Sep 10, 2007 #8

turbo

Gold Member

Much of this engineering work is specific to the application, and cannot easily be scaled to a "generic" plant. The contaminant-loading of the feed water can vary widely (seasonal and short-term), requiring equipment and process-control instrumentation that is capable of handling the swings. Depending on the type of particulates that must be removed, flocculants, settling agent requirements can vary widely, too. Even if you've got a well-engineered plant built and operating, it may still have to be tweaked quite a bit to operate efficiently and provide water to the standards to which it is designed.

10. Sep 11, 2007 #9
    That's ok guy i have found the P & ID of wasted water treatement of my town. One of my teacher know the guy who work at the station and he gave me the plan because it's all the same almost everywhere.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?