P-Brane vs Dp-Brane: Understanding the Differences in Type IIB String Theory

• Thread starter wam_mi
  • Start date
In summary: In the case of U(2), this is the SU(2) group, which has a single 2x2 matrix element that is unitary. However, in some cases, as with the 2x2 matrix field that is the gauge boson for the p-brane, this is not the case. In fact, the gauge boson for a p-brane may have a different form, and may even be a 2x2 matrix that is not unitary.
wam_mi
Hi there,

(i) Could anyone tell me the difference between p-branes and D-branes please?

(ii) I have recently read that p-branes are some higher dimensional cousins of the extremal Reissner Nordström black hole, what does that actually mean in type IIB string theory?

(iii) If we have a U(2) gauge boson, does that mean it's a 2x2 matrix that is unitary? What other properties does this gauge boson have?

Thank you to all!

Physics news on Phys.org
i) I think that p-brane is just the general name for the p-dimensional objects that are found in string/brane- theory. However, the strings themselves are usually not called 1-branes. A D1-brane is different from a "fundamental string", which can be denoted F-string. Dp-branes are a specific type of p-brane. D means Dirichlet, coming from the Dirichlet boundary conditions imposed on the open strings that connect to it. There are some other types of branes besides the most usual Dp-brane. Check the wikipedia pages for p-brane, D-brane. You can find references there to S-brane, NS5-brane and F-strings, and the relation of all this to M-theory.

ii) Have no idea.

iii) Usually it only means that the gauge boson is a two-component object, ie. spacetime-field that takes values in a 2-complex-dimensional vector space, on which U(2) transformations act when a symmetry transformation is performed. But in some contexts it could also mean what you say. Although I would think they would then call it a U(2) matrix field.

Torquil

(i) p-branes are p-spatial-dimensional extremal black hole solutions of classical supergravity in higher dimensions. A major part of the 2nd superstring revolution is the conjecture of Polchinski that these p-branes correspond to the D-branes of IIB-superstrings in their classical limit ([tex]\alpha' \rightarrow 0 [/tex]). In string theory, D-branes exist for an entirely different reason. This identification has been confirmed by agreements of Bekenstein-Hawking formula for p-branes with that calculated from D-branes.

(ii) In the [tex]\alpha' \rightarrow 0 [/tex] limit of IIB string theory, one can write the classical action (as a function of various massless fields), along with the identification of the (p+1)-form gauge field coupled to a Dp-brane as a (p+1)-form field coupled to a p-brane.

(ii) Gauge bosons usually reside in the adjoint representation of the gauge group.

1. What is the difference between P-branes and Dp-branes?

P-branes and Dp-branes are both types of extended objects in string theory, but they have different dimensionalities. P-branes have a dimensionality of p+1, while Dp-branes have a dimensionality of p.

2. What are the properties of P-branes?

P-branes are characterized by their tension, which is a measure of how much energy is needed to stretch the brane. They also have a charge associated with them, which determines how they interact with other branes and fields in the theory.

3. How are P-branes and Dp-branes related?

Dp-branes can be thought of as a special case of P-branes, where p is equal to the number of spatial dimensions in which the Dp-brane is extended. In other words, Dp-branes are a specific type of P-brane with a fixed dimensionality.

4. What is the significance of P-branes and Dp-branes in string theory?

P-branes and Dp-branes play a crucial role in string theory, as they are the building blocks for constructing more complex objects in the theory. They also have important implications for the study of black holes and the holographic principle.

5. Are there any experimental observations or evidence for the existence of P-branes and Dp-branes?

Currently, there is no direct experimental evidence for the existence of P-branes and Dp-branes. However, their predictions have been successfully tested through mathematical consistency and agreement with other theories, such as general relativity.