Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

P-Channel MOSFET Switching

1. Aug 5, 2010 #1

urb

Hi all,

I'm using 7 P-channel mosfets to switch different loads using 1 microcontroller on an electrical power and distribution system. My circuit is as follows for each of the 7 Mosfets.

Gate: through a resistor to ground on microcontroller and through a High value (600 kilaohms)
    Drain: to load
    Source: I/O line from microcontroller and input power

So all the gates are interconnected to the ground on the cpu

The problem I'm having is that when I turn one mosfet on all the mosfets turn on and I can't figure out why. I am unable to use N-Channel mosfets. Any help on this matter would be very very appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2010 #2
    Are you sending 0s or 1s from microcontroller to source of PMOSs when all of them gets turned on ?

if the gate is connected to gnd, sending 0 to PMOS's source will turn it off, but sending 1 keeps it turned on all the time. I suspect that your microcontrollers are sending 1s to all the PMOSs.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  4. Aug 8, 2010 #3
    I don't understand what you have from your description. Can you post a schematic?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook