Troubleshooting P-Channel MOSFET Switching in Electrical Power Systems

• Thread starter urb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mosfet
In summary, the conversation is about using 7 P-channel mosfets to switch loads on an electrical power and distribution system with a microcontroller. The issue is that when one mosfet is turned on, all of them turn on. It is suspected that the microcontrollers are sending 1s to all the PMOSs, causing them to stay on. A schematic is requested for further understanding.
urb
Hi all,

I'm using 7 P-channel mosfets to switch different loads using 1 microcontroller on an electrical power and distribution system. My circuit is as follows for each of the 7 Mosfets.

Gate: through a resistor to ground on microcontroller and through a High value (600 kilaohms)
Drain: to load
Source: I/O line from microcontroller and input power

So all the gates are interconnected to the ground on the cpu

The problem I'm having is that when I turn one mosfet on all the mosfets turn on and I can't figure out why. I am unable to use N-Channel mosfets. Any help on this matter would be very very appreciated

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you sending 0s or 1s from microcontroller to source of PMOSs when all of them gets turned on ?

if the gate is connected to gnd, sending 0 to PMOS's source will turn it off, but sending 1 keeps it turned on all the time. I suspect that your microcontrollers are sending 1s to all the PMOSs.

Last edited:
I don't understand what you have from your description. Can you post a schematic?

1. What is a P-Channel MOSFET switch?

A P-Channel MOSFET (metal-oxide-semiconductor field-effect transistor) switch is a type of transistor that uses a P-channel instead of an N-channel to control the flow of current. It is commonly used in electronic devices for switching and amplifying signals.

2. How does a P-Channel MOSFET switch work?

A P-Channel MOSFET switch works by using an electric field to control the flow of current between the source and drain terminals. When a positive voltage is applied to the gate terminal, it creates an electric field that allows current to flow between the source and drain. When the gate voltage is lowered, the electric field collapses and current flow stops.

3. What are the advantages of using a P-Channel MOSFET switch?

One advantage of using a P-Channel MOSFET switch is that it can operate with a lower voltage and power supply compared to other types of switches. It also has a higher transconductance, meaning it can switch larger currents with a smaller gate voltage. Additionally, it has a simpler construction and is less susceptible to damage from electrostatic discharge.

4. What are some common applications of P-Channel MOSFET switches?

P-Channel MOSFET switches are commonly used in electronic devices such as power supplies, battery charging circuits, and motor control circuits. They are also used in audio amplifiers, LED drivers, and switching regulators.

5. How do I choose the right P-Channel MOSFET switch for my application?

To choose the right P-Channel MOSFET switch, you should consider the voltage and current requirements of your circuit, as well as the on-resistance and switching speed of the transistor. You should also check the datasheet for the specific MOSFET you are considering to ensure it meets the requirements of your application.