1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

P.Chem for Biophysics?

1. Jul 7, 2007 #1
    I have recently been bouncing around and looking at biophysics programs for graduate school, and also noticing that I need to take some non-math/physics electives for my major. All while doing this, I have started reading some biophysics textbooks. Now here is my question:

Should I take Physical Chemistry (P. Chem) as one of my upperdivision non-physics/math electives if I intend on going to study biophysics in graduate school?

None of my biophysics texts outright say this as a requirement; however, a few of the schools I have been looking at have noted this as a suggested requist.

Anyone have any opinions on this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2007 #2
    if you have ever taken thermodyanmics ...no because thats what it is from a chem perspective

4. Jul 8, 2007 #3
    I am planning on taking my thermo physics class the following term, if that is anyhelp. Here is a copy of the syallibus for the p.chem class I would take:

5. Jul 8, 2007 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Could be worth while, physical chem is definately an area of chemistry that most chemists and especially bio-chemists are weak on.
    It seems that there is a strong gradient in knowledge and understanding of thermodynamics/statistical mechanics as you go from physics->chemistry->bio.
    Odd really because life is just thermodynamics!

6. Jul 17, 2007 #5
    A second question to follow up on the topic: Should I jump into this course without one of the chemistry pre-reqs? The pre-req is described as the following:

7. Jul 18, 2007 #6

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The first half of those you should already know if you are doing physics labs.
    Acid-bases and titrations aren't that difficult to read up on, most non maths/physics types have trouble with them because they involve logs.

The principles of spectroscopy / chromatography are very simple - the actual real world method development is complicated but you aren;t going to get into that here.

8. Jul 18, 2007 #7
    I am going to talk to the professor to asset if I will be able to take his class next week, so i'll know for sure if I can even take the P.Chem class next week.

It's good to know that someone else thinks I can actually do this stuff.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?