1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

P.d.e problem

1. Nov 26, 2005 #1
    we are given the laplacian:
    (d^2)u/(dx^2) + (d^2)u/(dy^2) = 0 where the derivatives are partial. we have the B.C's
    u=0 for (-1<y<1) on x=0
    u=0 on the lines y=plus or minus 1 for x>0
    u tends to zero as x tends to infinity.

Using separation of variable I get the general solution

u = (ax+b)(cy+d) + sum over k of (Ak*sinky + Bk*cosky)*(Ck*exp(kx) + Dk*exp(-kx))

where a,b,c,d,Ak,Bk,Ck,Dk are constants. We can then say that Ck = 0 from B.C's, and I also think that we can say that a=b=c=d=0 as well (but I am not sure). I'm having trouble imposing the rest of the B.C's. the final solution is
    u=sum over m of [Am*cos(m*Pi*y/2)*exp(-(m*Pi*x/2)

thanks very much
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since [itex]cos(\frac{n\pi}{2})= cos(-\frac{n\pi}{2})= 0[/itex] for n any positive integer, you can satisfy the boundary condition u(x,y)= 0 for |y|= 1 by choosing [itex]k= -\frac{n\pi}{2}[/itex]. Of course, the the coefficient of sin(kx) must be 0 for all k for the same reason.
  4. Nov 27, 2005 #3
    Hi, thanks for the clarification. i'm now stuck on the next bit: determining the coefficients. I'm not sure what limits to integrate between, and keep getting all of my coefficients equal to zero.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?