1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

P&D lab esterification.

1. Mar 16, 2008 #1

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Some students had a disagreement about the esterification reaction between ethanol and ethanoic acid. Student A feels that the -OH group from the acid combines with the H from the alcohol functional group.
    Suggest a hypothesis for his feeling and design a lab to test the hypothesis.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]C_2H_5OH + CH_3COOH \rightarrow CH_3COOC_2H_5 + H_2O[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, well my idea would be to somehow label the oxygen on either the acid or the alcohol. I chose O-18. But I am not sure what steps are taken to actually label the oxygen like that.
    Then react the two, extract the ester formed, and run it through a mass spectrometer. But when the ester is formed, it is formed in a layer with water,how do I separate the two? (Simple pipette and extract until it looks like all has been pipetted?)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2008 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can buy O-18 labelled water. Any help?

If you injected it into a GC-MS you wouldn't have to separate anything...

4. Mar 17, 2008 #3

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Ah well all I need to say is that I labelled the oxygen. So no need to elaborate on it.
    But apparently I must use the normal mass spec. I know so I would need to extract it somehow. I'm thinking steam distillation.

5. Mar 18, 2008 #4

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not a good idea in the presence of either an acid or base. Maybe diluting in solvent and drying with Na2SO4 after washing with bicarb.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?