P&ID and Process Evaluation

• Thread starter Osimplegirlo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Process
In summary, a P&ID is a very specific type of diagram that is used in the chemical engineering industry. It is a more elaborate drawing than a block diagram, and it contains a wealth of information on components, pressures, and temperatures.
Osimplegirlo
Hello everyone.

Does anyone know where can I find P&ID to for the generation of Syngas using natural gas/coal/biomass/waste residues as feedstock ?

I need some of the main features of the process too.

Thanks for helping. =)

Engineering news on Phys.org
The chances you'll find an actual P&ID are close to zero. They're proprietary information. You might find generic process information, but you won't find that level of detail.

Hi Osimplegirlo,
Got your PM and wanted to clarify something. The term "P&ID" has a very specific meaning in industry. It stands for Process and Instrumentation Diagram. Such diagrams show every valve, every pressure gage, every pipe, tank, pump, heat exchanger, etc... for a system. On it, it shows a tag number on every component which corresponds to a tag on the actual component in order to identify it. Those tags also correspond to a parts list that contains information on what that component is and how it can be identified. A P&ID is a very elaborate drawing that contains a wealth of information not just on components but on pressures and temperatures and how the system is controlled including all the safety features and other information.

You said you needed this for a project at school, but a P&ID is not what you need. You just need a simple process diagram, sometimes called a "block diagram". That's a type of diagram that shows the major components and enough to get a general idea of the process, but not at the level of detail that a P&ID provides.

I'd suggest doing a search on syngas "http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=syngas+"process+diagram"+&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=". That way you can actually see the diagram before you click on the link.

Anyway, you probably need help from a chemical engineer, and I'm mechanical so I can't offer you too much assistance. Good luck on your assignment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Osimplegirlo said:
Hello everyone.

Does anyone know where can I find P&ID to for the generation of Syngas using natural gas/coal/biomass/waste residues as feedstock ?

I need some of the main features of the process too.

Thanks for helping. =)

Do your own PPE project assignment ball bags.

Q_Goest said:
You said you needed this for a project at school, but a P&ID is not what you need. You just need a simple process diagram, sometimes called a "block diagram". That's a type of diagram that shows the major components and enough to get a general idea of the process, but not at the level of detail that a P&ID provides.

Anyway, you probably need help from a chemical engineer, and I'm mechanical so I can't offer you too much assistance. Good luck on your assignment.

Yes a P&ID is needed... its a design project 3rd year chem eng

Hello there! I can provide some information on P&ID and process evaluation for the generation of Syngas using different feedstocks. P&ID (Process and Instrumentation Diagram) is a schematic representation of a process system, showing the equipment, piping, and instrumentation involved in the process. It is a valuable tool for understanding and analyzing a process, as well as for troubleshooting and making improvements.

In terms of finding P&ID for the specific process you mentioned, there are a few options. You can search for P&ID diagrams on online databases or engineering websites. You can also reach out to companies that specialize in the generation of Syngas using different feedstocks and request their P&ID diagrams.

As for the main features of the process, it will depend on the specific feedstock and technology used. Generally, the process involves gasification of the feedstock, which converts it into a mixture of carbon monoxide, hydrogen, and other gases. This mixture is then cleaned and conditioned to produce Syngas, which can be used as a fuel or chemical feedstock.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. Best of luck with your research!

What is a P&ID?

A P&ID, or piping and instrumentation diagram, is a detailed schematic representation of a process system used in engineering and industrial settings. It shows the interconnection of pipes, equipment, and control devices, as well as the flow of materials and energy through the system.

Why is a P&ID important?

A P&ID is important because it provides a visual representation of a process system, allowing engineers and operators to understand the system and its components. It also serves as a communication tool between different departments and individuals involved in the design, operation, and maintenance of the system.

What is the process of creating a P&ID?

The process of creating a P&ID typically involves several steps, including gathering information about the process, creating a rough sketch of the system, identifying and labeling all components, and finalizing the diagram with a consistent and standardized format. It may also involve multiple revisions and reviews before the final P&ID is approved.

What is process evaluation?

Process evaluation is an assessment of a process system to determine its efficiency, effectiveness, and potential for improvement. It involves analyzing data, observing the system in action, and identifying areas for optimization and enhancement.

Why is process evaluation important?

Process evaluation is important because it helps to identify and address any issues or inefficiencies in a process system, leading to improved performance and cost savings. It also allows for continuous improvement and optimization of the system over time.