P implicit vs. explicit function of time

In summary, the classical equation for momentum (d/dt) does not always equal the derivative with respect to time (dp/dt), because there is an operator involved. This operator is Qhat and is specific to a particular situation- in this case, describing the evolution of momentum over time.
mmwave
As part of proving that d/dt <p> = <-Del V> you have to use the fact that < dp/dt> = 0 when p is not an explicit function of time.
I'm not clear on what this means. Any insights to share?

From classical mechanics, if there is a potential V = -k/r then there will be a force on a particle and the momentum will evolve over time. In Q-M, this is an implicit function of time and so still <dp/dt > = 0.

An explicit function of time would be V = -kcos(t) / r and now
< dp/dt> is not equal to zero. p still evolves over time.

I can't see why implicit or explicit function makes any difference mathematically.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does your textbook actually use the words "implicit" and "explicit"? Ah, now I see, you are talking about measurable quantities in quantum mechanics.

Notice that <dp/dt> is NOT just the derivative with respect to time. It is, rather, an operator. In order to calculate that derivative, you do "dp/dt" symbolically- that is if p= f(x,v) (x, v are position and velocity) then dp/dt= 0 even though x and v themselves depend on time- you don't use the chain rule here.

Originally posted by HallsofIvy

Notice that <dp/dt> is NOT just the derivative with respect to time. It is, rather, an operator. In order to calculate that derivative, you do "dp/dt" symbolically- that is if p= f(x,v) (x, v are position and velocity) then dp/dt= 0 even though x and v themselves depend on time- you don't use the chain rule here.

There is a subtlety here that escapes me - why being an operator means do not apply the chain rule.

The complete relation used is

d/dt <Qhat> = i/hbar * < [Hhat,Qhat]> + < dQhat/dt>

where [] = commutator, Qhat is any operator and the last derivative is a partial with respect to t. In my example, Qhat = phat the momentum operator hbar/i * d /dt.

What is the difference between implicit and explicit functions of time?

Implicit functions of time are expressed through equations where the dependent variable is not explicitly defined in terms of the independent variable. In contrast, explicit functions of time have the dependent variable explicitly defined in terms of the independent variable.

How do you know if a function is implicit or explicit?

A function is considered implicit if it contains both the dependent and independent variables, without one being explicitly defined in terms of the other. On the other hand, an explicit function will have one variable isolated on one side of the equation, with the other variable on the other side.

What are the advantages of using implicit functions of time?

Implicit functions of time are useful when dealing with complex equations that are difficult to solve for a specific variable. They also allow for a more flexible and abstract representation of mathematical relationships.

When should I use explicit functions of time?

Explicit functions of time are typically used when a specific variable needs to be solved for, or when a more concrete and specific representation of a mathematical relationship is needed.

Can a function be both implicit and explicit?

No, a function cannot be both implicit and explicit. It must either have the dependent variable explicitly defined in terms of the independent variable or not. However, a function can be rewritten from one form to the other, depending on the needs of the problem.