1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

P-n junction

1. Nov 23, 2005 #1
    Is a semiconductor with a p-n junction considered a transistor or just a diode? If it is just a diode, are transistors always triodes?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2005 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Not my area, but... as far as I know a transistor has to be at least a triode because you need to input the control voltage.

4. Nov 23, 2005 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is a diode, not a transistor. It has greater conductivity in one direction than the other.
    A triode is a vacuum device that works essentially like a transistor. It is not a solid state device.

A transistor must have three terminals. The idea is that by applying a (gate) voltage at one of the terminals, you can control the current flowing between the other two. The BJT is constructed essentially by sticking a pair of p-n junctions together, making sure the middle layer (the base) is really thin.

5. Nov 23, 2005 #4
    Oh, ok. Thanks!

6. Nov 23, 2005 #5

Danger

Gold Member

Thanks for the clarification on the triode, Gokul. I always thought that it was just anything with 3 leads.

7. Nov 23, 2005 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ever worked with tube-amps ? People still like to build their amplifiers out of triodes for better sound quality.

8. Nov 23, 2005 #7

Danger

Gold Member

I've never worked with any electronics. As my post should tell you, I know almost nothing about it. :redface: The closest that I got was changing burned-out tubes in my TV (yes, I'm that old :grumpy: ). I've heard very often that audiophiles pay big bucks for tube amps because they provide a 'warmer' sound. I guess the closest analogy that I can think of is that of a very good painting (tubes) as opposed to a photo (solid-state).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?