Is P-Polarization Essential for Effective Laser Cutting on Target Surfaces?

In summary: this is very helpful. i will try to find the required law to ensure the difference between p-polarization and s- polarization for my case
Amany Gouda
if I have laser beam irradiated normally on the target surface and in the same time time it is p- polarized. under these conditions, we will have the electric field which is completely parallel to the target surface and have a great effect on the target surface.
my questions is;
is this statement correct physically. if yes, which law or equation can confirm this statement

Science news on Phys.org
Is the electric field not parallel to the target surface for other polarizations?

How do you quantify "great effect"?

if you have laser beam with oblique incidence then you will not get electric field parallel to the surface especially in s- polarized beam.

Please clarify what you have in mind "normally on the target" and "p-polarized".Polarization state is defined in reference to the laser incident plane, so if your beam falls perpendicularly to the target your polarization state is in degenerate state (p-and s- polarization are the same). Are you performing some ablation/laser cutting experiments?

Domullus said:
Please clarify what you have in mind "normally on the target" and "p-polarized".Polarization state is defined in reference to the laser incident plane, so if your beam falls perpendicularly to the target your polarization state is in degenerate state (p-and s- polarization are the same). Are you performing some ablation/laser cutting experiments?
yes, you are true. this is related to ablation experiment. and the choice of the p-polarized is done by my boss and I am try to understand why that happen by adding some physical explanation.

Amany Gouda said:
if you have laser beam with oblique incidence then you will not get electric field parallel to the surface especially in s- polarized beam.
The first post was about a normal angle of incidence.

For other angles: yeah, I can imagine that the right polarization maximizes ablation.

mfb said:
The first post was about a normal angle of incidence.

For other angles: yeah, I can imagine that the right polarization maximizes ablation.
now I am try to find the required law to ensure the difference between p-polarization and s- polarization for my case

I understand your problem. I guess you use polarization perpendicular to laser cutting direction. This is indeed p-polarized beam. Why? Imagine that you move laser beam and ablate a narrow channel. When you translate laser beam second time along this channel, you can distinguish separate polarizations, because your incidence angle is not perpendicular anymore (your reference plane is the walls of the channel). As channel is rather steep, you are close to Brewster angle at this stage, therefore with p-polarized beam you will get lower reflection from the walls. If you use s-polarized light (parallel to cutting direction), greater amount of light will be reflected from the walls. Usually with p-polarized beam you will get more regular cut, but with s- polarized - deeper cut.

Last edited:
Likes mfb and Amany Gouda
Domullus said:
I understand your problem. I guess you use polarization perpendicular to laser cutting direction. This is indeed p-polarized beam. Why? Imagine that you move laser beam and ablate a narrow channel. When you translate laser beam second time along this channel, you can distinguish separate polarizations, because your incidence angle is not perpendicular anymore (your reference plane is the walls of the channel). As channel is rather steep, you are close to Brewster angle at this stage, therefore with p-polarized beam you will get lower reflection from the walls. If you use s-polarized light (parallel to cutting direction), greater amount of light will be reflected from the walls. Usually with p-polarized beam you get more regular cut, but with s- polarized - deeper cut.
wonderful explanation, is there any official resource (books, articles,..etc) to explain this fact.

I am not sure. It is rather basic effects and you can refer to any optics textbook (Fresnel equation, Brewster angle, polarization). There are myriads of papers on laser cutting experiments where you can read about polarization effects :)

Likes Amany Gouda
Domullus said:
I am not sure. It is rather basic effects and you can refer to any optics textbook (Fresnel equation, Brewster angle, polarization). There are myriads of papers on laser cutting experiments where you can read about polarization effects :)
thank you very much.

What is a P-polarized laser beam?

A P-polarized laser beam refers to a type of laser beam in which the electric field oscillates in a plane perpendicular to the direction of propagation. This results in the majority of the electric field being parallel to the surface of the material being illuminated.

How is a P-polarized laser beam produced?

A P-polarized laser beam is typically produced by using a polarizer, such as a prism or a thin film, which only allows the electric field oscillating in a specific direction to pass through. This results in a laser beam with a dominant electric field oscillating in a plane perpendicular to the direction of propagation.

What are the applications of P-polarized laser beams?

P-polarized laser beams are commonly used in microscopy, lithography, and optical data storage due to their ability to achieve high contrast and resolution. They are also used in material processing, such as cutting and drilling, as well as in optical communication systems.

What is the difference between P-polarized and S-polarized laser beams?

The main difference between P-polarized and S-polarized laser beams is the direction of the electric field oscillation. In P-polarized beams, the electric field oscillates perpendicular to the direction of propagation, while in S-polarized beams, it oscillates parallel to the direction of propagation.

How does the polarization of a laser beam affect its interaction with materials?

The polarization of a laser beam can greatly affect its interaction with materials. P-polarized beams are more likely to be absorbed by materials, while S-polarized beams are more likely to be reflected. This can be utilized in various applications, such as in polarizing filters to reduce glare or in materials processing to achieve different effects.