Proving $G_p$ is a Subgroup in Advanced Modern Algebra

• Thread starter Artusartos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Groups
In summary, the conversation involves defining p-primary abelian groups and their components, and proving that the p-primary component is a subgroup. The group operation is assumed to be addition and it is shown that if a and b are in the component, then their sum is also in the component.
Artusartos

Homework Statement

From Advanced Modern Algebra (Rotman):

Definition Let p be a prime. An abelian group G is p-primary if, for each ##a \in G##, there is ##n \geq 1## with ##p^na=0##. If we do not want to specify the prime p, we merely say that ##G## is primary.

If ##G## is any abelian group, then its p-primary component is ##G_p = \{a \in G : p^na=0 for some n\geq 1\}##.

I was trying to prove that ##G_p## is a subgroup.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If ##a## and ##b## are in ##G_p##, with ##p^ka=0## and ##p^na=0##, then ##p^{k+n}ab \in G_p##.

But now I need to show that if ##a \in G_p## then ##a^{-1} \in G_p##. If the operation is addition, then of course it is true, since ##\underbrace{a+...+a}_{p^k\text{ times}} = 0 \implies (-1)(\underbrace{a+...+a}_{p^k\text{ times}})=0##. But what if its any arbitrary operation?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm a bit confused. Since you're working in an abelian group, and since you denote the identity by ##0##, it seems to me that you denote the group operation by ##+##.

But here:

Artusartos said:
If ##a## and ##b## are in ##G_p##, with ##p^ka=0## and ##p^na=0##, then ##p^{k+n}ab \in G_p##.

your group operation is multiplication. I don't think this can be right. I think that you need to prove that if ##a,b\in G_p##, then there is some ##n## such that ##p^n (a+b) = 0##.

micromass said:
I'm a bit confused. Since you're working in an abelian group, and since you denote the identity by ##0##, it seems to me that you denote the group operation by ##+##.

But here:

your group operation is multiplication. I don't think this can be right. I think that you need to prove that if ##a,b\in G_p##, then there is some ##n## such that ##p^n (a+b) = 0##.

Thanks. I was thinking that we had to prove this for any arbitrary group, regardless of operation. Usually, people tend use multiplication as the operation if the operation is unknown, right? That was the reason why I proved the first part that way, not necessarily because I had the operation of multiplication in my mind.

However, I got confused when I got to the second part...and as I said it is easy to prove it when the operation is addition, but what if it is not?

In any case, I'm assuming that the definition actually did mean addition...because (as you said), they write 0 for the identity element, right?

So if ##a## and ##b## are in ##G_p##, then ##p^{k+n}(a+b) = 0##, so ##a+b \in G_P##, right?

Artusartos said:
Thanks. I was thinking that we had to prove this for any arbitrary group, regardless of operation. Usually, people tend use multiplication as the operation if the operation is unknown, right? That was the reason why I proved the first part that way, not necessarily because I had the operation of multiplication in my mind.

However, I got confused when I got to the second part...and as I said it is easy to prove it when the operation is addition, but what if it is not?

In any case, I'm assuming that the definition actually did mean addition...because (as you said), they write 0 for the identity element, right?

The general groups are always written using multiplication. But here we are dealing with an abelian group and they are usually written with addition notation. It's just a notation anyway.

So if ##a## and ##b## are in ##G_p##, then ##p^{k+n}(a+b) = 0##, so ##a+b \in G_P##, right?

Seems right.

Likes 1 person

1. What is a subgroup?

A subgroup is a subset of a group that itself forms a group under the same operation as the original group. This means that the elements in the subgroup must also follow the same group axioms as the original group.

2. How do you prove that a subset is a subgroup?

To prove that a subset $H$ is a subgroup of a group $G$, you need to show that $H$ satisfies the three subgroup criteria: closure, associativity, and the existence of an identity and inverse element. This can be done by showing that all elements in $H$ are closed under the group operation, that the group operation is associative on $H$, and that the identity and inverse elements of $G$ are also in $H$.

3. What is $G_p$ in the context of subgroup proof?

$G_p$ is the notation used to represent the cyclic subgroup generated by a single element $p$ in a group $G$. This means that $G_p$ consists of all powers of $p$, including positive and negative powers, and the identity element of $G$.

4. Are there any other methods for proving a subgroup besides the three criteria?

Yes, there are other methods for proving a subgroup. One common method is by using the subgroup test, which states that a subset $H$ of a group $G$ is a subgroup if and only if $H$ is non-empty and for any two elements $a$ and $b$ in $H$, their product $ab^{-1}$ is also in $H$.

5. Is it possible for a subset to be a subgroup of multiple groups?

Yes, it is possible for a subset to be a subgroup of multiple groups. The subset must satisfy the subgroup criteria for each group in order to be considered a subgroup. This means that the elements in the subgroup must follow the group axioms for each individual group.