Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

P,Q and R branches!

1. Jan 30, 2006 #1
    In rotational-vibrational spectroscopy P-branch corresponds to low level rotational transitions "delta J = -1" and R-branch to high rotations "delta J = +1". And I am confused about Q branch which corresponds to "delta J = 0" ; which means that no rotational change is there and it is allowed in some cases. I want to know when it is allowed and how?. Because when vibrational or electronic transitions are there rotational quantum number should change.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2006 #2

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

The condition that delta J = 0 is derived from the rigid rotor model. Molecules that are not well approximated by the rigid rotor model can therefore potentially exhibit Q branch transitions.

Claude.

4. Feb 6, 2006 #3
    Hi claude...thanks for the replies, I got some thing out of them,.

5. Feb 6, 2006 #4

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

Always good to know :wink: .

Claude.

6. Feb 21, 2006 #5
    Though its not the case you mentioned, it is also possible that electronic angular momentum may yield a [tex]\Delta J = 0 [/tex] selection rule. This may occur when a rotational transition accompanies an electronic transition between, say, a [tex]\Sigma[/tex] singlet state to a[tex]\Pi[/tex] singlet state. In this case, the photon angular momentum is transferred to the electronic degrees of freedom as opposed to the rotational motion of the nuclei.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?