1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

P/q continuity

1. Nov 15, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let p and q be a polynomial and x0 be a zero of q of multiplicity m. Prove that p/q can be assigned a value at x0 such that the function thus defined will be continuous there iff x0 is a zero of p of multiplicity greater than or equal to m.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not quite sure how to even get started. This question just confuses me in what it's asking.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If f(x) is a polynomial, and has a zero at x0 of degree m, then there exists a polynomial g(x) such that f(x) = g(x)*(x-x0)m

As written, p/q (if q has a zero at x0) is not defined at x0, but is defined continuously in a ball around x0. A standard trick is to extend functions by finding what their limit is as you approach points that aren't in the original domain, and then defining a new function that equals the original function on the original domain, and if you're on one of the non-defined points, you define it to be the limit of the original function.

So try writing p and q in the form I gave at the top of my post, and then use the tip to consider the relative degrees of the roots and figure out if the limit as x approaches x0 exists
  4. Nov 15, 2008 #3
    Ok so p: there exists a polynomial q such that p=q*(x-x0)m
    Is this right then do the same for q?
  5. Nov 16, 2008 #4
    or p=r*(x-x0)m?
  6. Nov 16, 2008 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Office Shredder said p(x)= g(x)(x- x0)m, NOT "q(x)(x- x0)m". You cannot use "q" to mean two different polynomials.

Don't write "p(x)= q(x)(x- x0)m" or "p= r(x- x0)m). Do what Office Shredder suggested!
  7. Nov 19, 2008 #6
    Ok, so I have p=g(x)(x-[tex]x_{0}[/tex])[tex]^{m}[/tex]
  8. Nov 19, 2008 #7
    I'm just confused on where to go next... Like do I do a delta, epsilon proof?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?