1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: P-Sylow subgroup question

1. May 16, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose K is a normal subgroup of a finite group G and S is a p-Sylow subgroup of G. Prove that K intersect S is a p-Sylow subgroup of K. So I know that K is a unique p-sylow group by definition, is that enough to prove that the intersection of K with S is a p-sylow subgroup of K?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Since S is a Sylow-p subgroup of G and K intersect S is a subgroup of S and K, we see that K intersect S is a p-subgroup of K. It remains to show that K intersect S is a maximal p-subgroup of K, which implies that K intersect S is a Sylow p-subgroup of K.

We know that [G:S] is relatively prime to p.
    THe hints I was given to finish this off was that [K: K intersect S] = [KS:S] and [G:S] = [G:KS][KS:S] and from that we are suppose to get that [K:K intersect S] is relatively prime to p.
    I am not getting how we know that [K: K intersect S] = [KS:S] and that [G:S] = [G:KS][KS:S] and how this implies that [K: K intersect S] is relatively prime to p.
    I know that KS is a subgroup of G since K is a normal subgroup of G. If anyone could help me with this problem I will be entirnaly gratefull

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2010 #2
    A general fact is that |KS| = |K| |S| / |K intersect S|. Since [G:H] = |G|/|H| (this is Lagrange's theorem), this statement is equivalent to [K: K intersect S] = [KS:S].

The equation [G:S] = [G:KS][KS:S] is again a consequence of Lagrange. The left side is |G|/|S| and the right side is (|G|/|KS|) (|KS|/|S|). Now, since [G:S] doesn't contain a factor of p and [KS:S] is a factor of [G:S], p cannot be a factor of [KS:S] = [K: K intersect S].

4. May 16, 2010 #3
    A general fact is that |KS| = |K| |S| / |K intersect S|. I forgot about this fact!!! THanks so much, this makes a whole lot of more sense now.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook