Proving the Maximal Property of p-Sylow Subgroups in Finite Groups

• Thread starter tyrannosaurus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subgroup
In summary, we need to prove that K intersect S is a maximal p-subgroup of K. We can use the fact that |KS| = |K| |S| / |K intersect S| and Lagrange's theorem to show that [K: K intersect S] = [KS:S]. We can also use another consequence of Lagrange's theorem, [G:S] = [G:KS][KS:S], to show that [K: K intersect S] is relatively prime to p. This ultimately proves that K intersect S is a p-Sylow subgroup of K.
tyrannosaurus

Homework Statement

Suppose K is a normal subgroup of a finite group G and S is a p-Sylow subgroup of G. Prove that K intersect S is a p-Sylow subgroup of K. So I know that K is a unique p-sylow group by definition, is that enough to prove that the intersection of K with S is a p-sylow subgroup of K?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since S is a Sylow-p subgroup of G and K intersect S is a subgroup of S and K, we see that K intersect S is a p-subgroup of K. It remains to show that K intersect S is a maximal p-subgroup of K, which implies that K intersect S is a Sylow p-subgroup of K.

We know that [G:S] is relatively prime to p.
THe hints I was given to finish this off was that [K: K intersect S] = [KS:S] and [G:S] = [G:KS][KS:S] and from that we are suppose to get that [K:K intersect S] is relatively prime to p.
I am not getting how we know that [K: K intersect S] = [KS:S] and that [G:S] = [G:KS][KS:S] and how this implies that [K: K intersect S] is relatively prime to p.
I know that KS is a subgroup of G since K is a normal subgroup of G. If anyone could help me with this problem I will be entirnaly gratefull

Physics news on Phys.org
tyrannosaurus said:
I am not getting how we know that [K: K intersect S] = [KS:S] and that [G:S] = [G:KS][KS:S] and how this implies that [K: K intersect S] is relatively prime to p.
I know that KS is a subgroup of G since K is a normal subgroup of G. If anyone could help me with this problem I will be entirnaly gratefull

A general fact is that |KS| = |K| |S| / |K intersect S|. Since [G:H] = |G|/|H| (this is Lagrange's theorem), this statement is equivalent to [K: K intersect S] = [KS:S].

The equation [G:S] = [G:KS][KS:S] is again a consequence of Lagrange. The left side is |G|/|S| and the right side is (|G|/|KS|) (|KS|/|S|). Now, since [G:S] doesn't contain a factor of p and [KS:S] is a factor of [G:S], p cannot be a factor of [KS:S] = [K: K intersect S].

A general fact is that |KS| = |K| |S| / |K intersect S|. I forgot about this fact! THanks so much, this makes a whole lot of more sense now.

1. What is a P-Sylow subgroup?

A P-Sylow subgroup is a subgroup of a given group that has a specific prime order, denoted as P. It is the largest subgroup of the group with an order that is a power of P.

2. How do you find the number of P-Sylow subgroups in a group?

The number of P-Sylow subgroups in a group can be found using Sylow's Theorem. It states that the number of P-Sylow subgroups in a group is congruent to 1 mod P and divides the order of the group.

3. How does the size of a group affect the number of P-Sylow subgroups?

The size of a group has a direct impact on the number of P-Sylow subgroups. As the order of the group increases, the number of P-Sylow subgroups also increases.

4. What is the significance of P-Sylow subgroups in group theory?

P-Sylow subgroups are important in group theory as they provide information about the structure and properties of a group. They also help in understanding the normal subgroups and factor groups of a given group.

5. Can a group have more than one P-Sylow subgroup?

Yes, a group can have multiple P-Sylow subgroups, as long as the number of P-Sylow subgroups is congruent to 1 mod P and divides the order of the group.