1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

P-t graph velocity HELP!

1. Sep 6, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Take the slope of the curve in the figure to determine the velocity at t = 10.0 s, in meters per second.
    vujobm3j.1qv.png

2. Relevant equations

(y2-y1)/(x2-x1)

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't know how to find it at 10 because there isnt a point plotted at 10. I did the two points near it and got it 1.04 by using the above slope equation.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2015 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

I don't see how you could have gotten close to one. Velocity is change in position per unit time. You are given the data points and the plot. Looking at the plot, it is just about a straight line, so you could potentially use any points given to find the slope, but since 10 is so close to 9.7, I would recommend the points before and after 9.7 sec to use for the estimate.

Also, note that position data is given in km and the problem asks for velocity in m/sec.

4. Sep 7, 2015 #3

andrevdh

Homework Helper

Best shows us how you got to the answer, because I get a completely different one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted