Calculating Velocity Using P-t Graph | Homework Help for Physics

In summary, the task is to determine the velocity at t = 10.0s, in meters per second, by taking the slope of the curve shown in the figure. Using the slope equation (y2-y1)/(x2-x1), the user calculated the slope between two points near 10 seconds and obtained a value of 1.04. However, another user suggests using points before and after 9.7 seconds for a better estimate, and also points out that the position data is given in km while the problem asks for velocity in m/sec.
Lana Elcic

Homework Statement

[/B]
Take the slope of the curve in the figure to determine the velocity at t = 10.0 s, in meters per second.
vujobm3j.1qv.png

Homework Equations

(y2-y1)/(x2-x1)[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to find it at 10 because there isn't a point plotted at 10. I did the two points near it and got it 1.04 by using the above slope equation.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see how you could have gotten close to one. Velocity is change in position per unit time. You are given the data points and the plot. Looking at the plot, it is just about a straight line, so you could potentially use any points given to find the slope, but since 10 is so close to 9.7, I would recommend the points before and after 9.7 sec to use for the estimate.

Also, note that position data is given in km and the problem asks for velocity in m/sec.

Best shows us how you got to the answer, because I get a completely different one.

What does a P-t graph represent?

A P-t graph represents the relationship between position (P) and time (t) for an object. It shows the change in position over a certain period of time.

How is velocity represented on a P-t graph?

Velocity is represented by the slope of the line on a P-t graph. The steeper the line, the greater the velocity, and the flatter the line, the lower the velocity.

What does a horizontal line on a P-t graph indicate?

A horizontal line on a P-t graph indicates that there is no change in position over time, meaning the object is at rest.

How can you determine the average velocity from a P-t graph?

To determine the average velocity from a P-t graph, you can calculate the slope of the line between two points on the graph. The slope is equal to the change in position divided by the change in time.

What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is the rate at which an object is moving, while velocity is the speed and direction of an object's motion. Velocity takes into account the direction of an object's movement, while speed does not.