1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

P(t) = V(t)I(t) derivation

1. Jan 12, 2013 #1
    I kindly ask for assistance in derivation of the equation for instantaneous power in an electric circuit, P(t) = V(t) I(t). I want to derive it as rigorously as possible. Here's what I got:
    We start with [itex]P = {\bf F} \cdot {\bf v}[/itex], where [itex]{\bf v} = \frac{d\bf r}{dt}
    [/itex]
    We know that the force exerted on a test charge q is given by [itex]{\bf F} = {\bf E} q[/itex], and for voltage we know [itex]dV = - {\bf E} \cdot dx[/itex].
    Inserting F in equation for power, we get [itex]P = {\bf E}q \cdot \frac{d\bf x}{dt} = {\bf E}\cdot dx \frac{q}{dt} = - dV \frac{q}{dt} .[/itex]
    How would I go from this, to the desired result, without taking a "quantum leap"?
    Is there a better way to actually derive this mathematically impeccably?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2013 #2
    You need first to decide whether you want the power in a circuit, as you described,

or the flow of power through a single point in space, which you appear to be trying to calculate.

The old fashioned definition of EMF made this quite clear for a circuit.

The EMF of a circuit develops the power in that circuit, equal to the EMF times the current flowing in that circuit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook