Prove Pr(t<X<t+dt)=f(t)dt - Get Help Here!

• Thread starter rukawakaede
  • Start date
In summary, if dt is an infinitely small number, the probability that X is included within the interval (t, t + dt) is equal to f(t) dt .
rukawakaede
Hi

Could anyone show to me that:

If dt is an infinitely small number, the probability that X is included within the interval (t, t + dt) is equal to f(t) dt ,i.e.
[itex]Pr(t<X<t+dt) = f(t)dt[/itex]
where f is the probability density function.

this sentence is from wikipedia but I could not prove this to myself.

Thanks if anyone can help.

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the limits of your integral? You can't really make sense of f(t)dt without some kind of constraint on the upper and lower limits.

chiro said:
What are the limits of your integral? You can't really make sense of f(t)dt without some kind of constraint on the upper and lower limits.

here dt is an infinitely small number. and i don't think the RHS is an integral.

maybe you can refer to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probability_density_function#Further_details

the last line of the Further details

Last edited:
The probabilty density function, f, is defined by the fact that
[tex]P(a< x< b)= \int_a^b f(x)dx[/tex]
or, equivalently,
[tex]P(a< x< a+h)= \int_a^{a+h} f(x)dx[/tex]

What Wikipedia gives is a "differential" form of that.

HallsofIvy said:
The probabilty density function, f, is defined by the fact that
[tex]P(a< x< b)= \int_a^b f(x)dx[/tex]
or, equivalently,
[tex]P(a< x< a+h)= \int_a^{a+h} f(x)dx[/tex]

What Wikipedia gives is a "differential" form of that.

Thanks HallsofIvy for your reply.

I was trying to work out why
[tex]\int_a^{a+h} f(x)dx= f(a)h[/tex]
when h infinitely small.

Could you tell me more about why this is true? or could you explain the differential form? I am still not fully understand yet.

rukawakaede said:
Thanks HallsofIvy for your reply.

I was trying to work out why
[tex]\int_a^{a+h} f(x)dx= f(a)h[/tex]
when h infinitely small.
First off, you almost surely do not mean much of what you said literally. You should spend some time thinking about what you actually meant
Anyways, if by "=" you meant "is approximately" and by "infinitely small" you meant "sufficiently small", it's true because of the mean value theorem and the definition of continuous function.

(P.S. if f is not assumed to be continuous, then the equation above is very false)

rukawakaede said:
Hi

Could anyone show to me that:

If dt is an infinitely small number, the probability that X is included within the interval (t, t + dt) is equal to f(t) dt ,i.e.
[itex]Pr(t<X<t+dt) = f(t)dt[/itex]
where f is the probability density function.

this sentence is from wikipedia but I could not prove this to myself.

Thanks if anyone can help.

It's just a (dodgy) method for turning sums into integrals. In the long run it's worthwhile to learn Stieltjes integration so you can write probabilities and expectations as
[tex]E[g(X)] = \int_R g(x)dF(x) [/tex]
which is valid whether or not the distribution F(x) has a density.

1. What is the meaning of the equation Pr(t

The equation Pr(t

2. How is the equation used in scientific research?

The equation is commonly used in statistical analysis to calculate the probability of a continuous random variable falling within a specific range. This allows scientists to make predictions and draw conclusions about the likelihood of certain events occurring.

3. What is the significance of the variable t in the equation?

The variable t represents a specific point in time or a threshold value for a continuous random variable. It is used to specify the range in which the probability is being calculated.

4. What is the importance of the interval dt in the equation?

The interval dt is an infinitesimal (very small) value that is used to calculate the probability of the random variable falling within the range specified by t and t+dt. It allows for a more precise calculation of the probability.

5. How can the equation be applied in real-world scenarios?

The equation can be applied in various fields such as economics, physics, and engineering to analyze and make predictions about continuous random variables. For example, it could be used to determine the probability of a stock's price falling within a certain range or the likelihood of a particle's position falling within a specific range in quantum mechanics.