With a t distribution, can I find the p value?

In summary: \left[1-\frac{1}{x}\right]^kwhere k=the number of different values of x in which the gamma function is defined.
Dustinsfl
With a t distribution, can I find the p value?

With a normal distribution, I know the equation is y=e^(-x^2)/sqr(2*pi).

Is there a t distribution I can integrate for a t distribution?

Physics news on Phys.org
yes, you can find the p-value of a t distribution. the p-value is the probability of getting something as extreme or more extreme than your test statistic. So, ff you know your test statistic, you can find the p-value.

If you are dealing with tests for one mean, each different sample size has a different t-distribution.
I'm not sure what you're after - if you use software the p-value will be (is, for the software with which I'm aware) reported with the output. if you are working by hand, you should know how to use tables to find, or at least approximate, p-values.

I want to be able to form the equation of the distribution and then integrate to solve for the p value.

There is no closed form integral for the t-distribution density (of course there isn't for the normal distribution's density either). (Actually, the cumulative function involves a hypergeometric function).

The density for the t-distribution that has [itex] k [/itex] degrees of freedom is

[tex]
f(x) = \frac{\Gamma\left(\frac{k+1}{2}\right)}{\sqrt{\, \k \pi} \Gamma\left(\frac k 2\right)}\left(1 + \frac {x^2} k\right)^{-\left(\frac{k+1}2\right)}
[/tex]

Last edited:
What is gamma?

[itex] \Gamma [/itex] is the gamma function.

Is the gamma function defined by a formula with unknowns? And if so, what is it?

The general definition is

[tex]
\Gamma(x) = \int_0^\infty t^{x-1} e^{-t} \, dt
[/tex]

The integral converges for [itex] x > 1 [/itex]. (It can be defined for complex values as well,
but that isn't needed for your question.)

Dustinsfl said:
Is the gamma function defined by a formula with unknowns? And if so, what is it?

If [itex] x [/itex] is a positive integer it can be shown that

[tex]
\Gamma(x) = (x-1)!
[/tex]

1. Can I use a t distribution to find the p value for any type of data?

Yes, the t distribution can be used to find the p value for any type of data as long as the sample size is small (less than 30) and the population standard deviation is unknown.

2. How do I calculate the p value using a t distribution?

To calculate the p value, you need to first find the t statistic by dividing the difference between the sample mean and the null hypothesis mean by the standard error of the mean. Then, you can use a t distribution table or software to find the corresponding p value.

3. What does the p value obtained from a t distribution represent?

The p value represents the probability of obtaining a sample mean that is at least as extreme as the one observed, assuming the null hypothesis is true. In other words, it measures the strength of evidence against the null hypothesis.

4. Can I use the p value from a t distribution to make a conclusion about the population mean?

Yes, the p value can be used to make a conclusion about the population mean. If the p value is less than the chosen significance level (usually 0.05), we can reject the null hypothesis and conclude that the sample mean is significantly different from the population mean.

5. Is the p value obtained from a t distribution affected by sample size?

Yes, the p value is affected by sample size. As the sample size increases, the p value decreases, making it more likely to reject the null hypothesis. This is because larger sample sizes provide more precise estimates of the population mean.