Practical effects if it is proved that P=NP

In summary, if it is proven that P=NP and an efficient polynomial time algorithm is found for NP-complete problems, there would be significant practical effects in terms of perfectly solving these problems, such as Boolean SAT, Traveling salesman, and scheduling. It may also lead to efficient generation of proofs for statements. However, there would also be implications for cryptography and it does not immediately guarantee practical implications. Primality testing is efficient, but factoring is hard. There have been previous attempts to prove that Primes is in P, but it is still a debated topic. Overall, a practical algorithm for NP-complete problems would have numerous practical applications, including cheating at games like minesweeper and sudoku. However, the scalability and probability of correctness may
sid_galt
What would be the practical effects if it is proved that P=NP and an efficient polynomial time algorithm is found for NP-complete problems?

By practical effects, I mean the practical effects of perfectly solving the problems which have been proven to be NP-complete (like Boolean SAT, Traveling salesman, scheduling, etc.)?

Because from what I have gathered, approximate algorithms (like stochastic alogrithms for e.g.) are pretty good at finding answers close to the perfect answers and algorithms that do find perfect answers if given enough time find it in reasonable times for most cases.

So will there be significant practical effects if P=NP (aside from the fact that cryptography will become impossible)?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
One thing it can answer is that there is no efficient algorithm for primality testing.

Kummer said:
One thing it can answer is that there is no efficient algorithm for primality testing.

That's funny. Primality testing is very efficient. Factoring, on the other hand, is hard.

NateTG said:
That's funny. Primality testing is very efficient. Factoring, on the other hand, is hard.

Yes. I should have said that integer factorizations is hard.

Actually I meant what would be the practical effects if P is proved to be equal to NP, not the practical effects of solving the question whether P=NP.

A result of P=NP doesn't immediately guarantee practical implications, or that cryptography will become impossible. A solution to SAT in O(n^100) is not much less intractable than O(2^n) with our current technology.

There would be many practical implications of a low polynomial time solution to SAT, with scheduling probably being the most popular one.

Also, i believe that if P=NP then we might be able to efficiently generate proofs for statements.

Kummer said:

The question in the OP asked what would be the practical implication of P=NP NOT the practical implication of P not equal to NP, but the mistake is understandable given that many researchers believe that P does not equal NP.

I imagine your post meant that if P does not equal NP, then there is no efficient algorithm for primality testing.

I don't know much about the subject, but Martin Dietzfelbinger wrote a book with the title

"PRIMES is in P"

https://www.amazon.com/dp/3540403442/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Also, in 1976, G.L. Miller wrote a paper...

"Riemann's hypothesis and tests for primality" J.CSS, 13, pg. 300-317, 1976

I believe the paper proves that Primes is in P if one assumes the Riemann Hypothesis is true. However, 1976 was a long, long time ago, and someone may have found a proof that Primes is in P without assuming the Riemann Hypothesis.

As for the OP, I don't know much about practical applications, but I'm pretty sure that quite a few applications would exist if a practical algorithm were found. Other people here can probably tell you more about the practical side of things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Primality testing is in P, independently of the RH, it was shown recentely i think (2003/2004?).

BTW, there are hundreds of NP-Complete problems, including games such as minesweeper and sudoku, so if nothing else you'd be able to efficiently cheat at these games.

Some polynomial algorithms may arrive at a correct answer a percentage of the time, however, and though i haven't analyzed any such algorithms closely, they probably won't scale well. So as n goes up, p (the probability of the algorithm arriving at a correct answer) goes down. Hence, even with such an algorithm, there is an n such that the probability of obtaining a correct answer is not great, such that you have to resort to more computation.

-Job- said:
Primality testing is in P, independently of the RH, it was shown recentely i think (2003/2004?).

I remember something like this too... but I didn't have a source...

Nice reply with the other post... good to know that there is a guiding principle that says the algorithms don't usually scale well and the probability declines with the size of the scale...

funny... best use of advanced mathematics... cheating... :rofl:

1. What is the significance of proving P=NP?

If it is proved that P=NP, it would mean that certain problems that are currently considered "hard" or "difficult" to solve, would actually have a more efficient solution. This could have a significant impact on various fields such as cryptography, machine learning, and artificial intelligence.

2. How would practical effects be seen in our daily lives?

If P=NP is proven, it could lead to the development of faster and more efficient algorithms for solving complex problems. This could result in better and quicker decision-making processes, improved data analysis, and more advanced technology.

3. Would it make all problems solvable in polynomial time?

If P=NP is proved, it would mean that all NP problems would also be in the class P, which are problems that can be solved in polynomial time. However, it does not necessarily mean that all problems would have a polynomial-time solution. There may still be problems that are inherently difficult and require exponential time to solve.

4. How would it impact the current state of computer science?

If P=NP is proven, it would revolutionize the field of computer science. It could lead to the development of new and more efficient algorithms, as well as advancements in areas such as data mining, optimization, and complexity theory. It could also potentially open up new avenues for research and innovation.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to proving P=NP?

While proving P=NP would have many positive impacts, there could also be some potential drawbacks. For example, it could make certain encryption methods vulnerable to attacks, leading to potential security risks. It could also potentially devalue the importance of problem-solving skills and discourage individuals from seeking more efficient solutions.