Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

P-wave superconductivity

1. Mar 24, 2010 #1
    Does anybody know how p_x + i p_y symmetry arises in a p-wave superconductor ? How does the complex form arise ? Thanks a lot ...

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2010 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I'm not sure to what extent you want an answer to your question, because this is a topic that is covered in whole books!

p-wave superconductivity is the triplet pairing symmetry, first discovered in superfluid He3. This is as opposed to the singlet state of the ordinary conventional superconductors, and the d-wave cuprate superconductors. I'm not sure if it is any more complex in nature when compared to the d-wave superconductors. The mechanism for pairing is still debatable, but I think for the ruthenates family of superconductivity, phonons are thought to be responsible for such pairing.

I would suggest a review article might help, such as the one done by A. P. Mackenzie and Y. Maenob, Physica B: Cond. Mat. v.280, p.148 (2000).

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook