How to Derive u_k in Kitaev's 1D p-Wave Superconductivity Model?

In summary, the problem at hand involves deriving the expression for u_{k} in the Bogluibov transformation, using the given equations and definitions. After hours of work, the poster is struggling to make progress and cannot find any helpful sources online for the derivation. The desired expression for u_{k} is u_{k} = \frac{\Delta_{k}}{|\Delta_{k}|}\frac{\sqrt{E_{Bulk}+\epsilon_{k}}}{\sqrt{2E_{Bulk}}}.
DeathbyGreen
Hello! So I'm really stuck in a personal quest to derive Kitaev's 1D p wave superconductivity model, and I'm stuck on the seemingly simplest part.

1. Homework Statement

In the Bogluibov transformation, we get two coefficients from the equations[itex] |v_{k}|^{2}+ |u_{k}|^{2}= 1 [/itex]

[itex] v_{k}=(\frac{E_{Bulk}-\epsilon_{k}}{\Delta_{k}})\mu_{k} [/itex]

Where [itex] E_{Bulk} = \sqrt{\epsilon_{k}^{2} + |\Delta_{k}|^{2}} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I cannot derive the correct expression for [itex]u_{k} [/itex]

[itex] u_{k} = \frac{\Delta_{k}}{|\Delta_{k}|}\frac{\sqrt{E_{Bulk}+\epsilon_{k}}}{\sqrt{2E_{Bulk}}} [/itex]I know it's just simple algebra, but I've been working on it for hours without any progress and I can't find any sources online that show the derivation :O

Physics news on Phys.org
2. Homework Equations |v_{k}|^{2}+ |u_{k}|^{2}= 1 v_{k}=(\frac{E_{Bulk}-\epsilon_{k}}{\Delta_{k}})\mu_{k} 3. The Attempt at a SolutionThe first step is to square both sides of the equation: |v_{k}|^{4}+ |u_{k}|^{4}= 1 Then, you can use the definition of v_{k} to substitute it in and rearrange it: |u_{k}|^{4} = 1 - (\frac{E_{Bulk}-\epsilon_{k}}{\Delta_{k}})^{4}\mu_{k}^{4}Next, you can take the square root of both sides: |u_{k}|^{2} = \sqrt{1 - (\frac{E_{Bulk}-\epsilon_{k}}{\Delta_{k}})^{4}\mu_{k}^{4}} Now you can use the definition of E_{Bulk} to substitute it in: |u_{k}|^{2} = \sqrt{1 - (\frac{\sqrt{\epsilon_{k}^{2} + |\Delta_{k}|^{2}}-\epsilon_{k}}{\Delta_{k}})^{4}\mu_{k}^{4}} Finally, you can rearrange it to get the desired expression for u_{k}: u_{k} = \frac{\Delta_{k}}{|\Delta_{k}|}\frac{\sqrt{E_{Bulk}+\epsilon_{k}}}{\sqrt{2E_{Bulk}}}

1. What is P wave superconductivity?

P wave superconductivity is a type of superconductivity where the electrons pair up in a specific way, called a P wave, to conduct electricity with zero resistance at low temperatures. This is different from conventional superconductivity where the electrons pair up in an S wave.

2. How is P wave superconductivity different from conventional superconductivity?

In conventional superconductivity, the electrons pair up in an S wave, which means the spin of the paired electrons is in opposite directions. In P wave superconductivity, the electrons pair up in a P wave, which means the spin of the paired electrons is in the same direction. This results in different properties and behaviors of the superconductor.

3. What materials exhibit P wave superconductivity?

P wave superconductivity is typically found in unconventional superconductors such as heavy fermion materials, organic superconductors, and certain types of high-temperature superconductors. These materials have complex crystal structures and electronic properties that allow for P wave pairing of electrons.

4. What are the potential applications of P wave superconductivity?

P wave superconductivity has potential applications in quantum computing and high-speed electronics. It could also lead to the development of new types of superconducting materials with improved properties for various technological applications.

5. How is P wave superconductivity studied in the laboratory?

Scientists use a variety of experimental techniques, such as resistivity measurements, magnetic penetration depth measurements, and specific heat measurements, to study P wave superconductivity in the laboratory. These experiments help to determine the critical temperature, energy gap, and other properties of the P wave superconductor.