Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Π^x and x^π

1. Jun 26, 2017 #1
    Guys, could you help me how to solve the inequality π^x - x^π < 0??

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2017 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

The easiest way to solve this is to use the desmos graphing calculator site:

https://www.desmos.com/calculator

and type in: pi^x - x^pi

It will show you a plot of the curve from which you can see where the zeros are and where the <0 segment is.

4. Jun 26, 2017 #3
    but if we're not allowed to use any calculator?? because my school doesn't allow us to use calculator for most of my math lesson

5. Jun 26, 2017 #4

jedishrfu

Okay, but since you've posted it, you could look at the graph and then see if you can devise a strategy to solve it.

One obvious solution is: ##\pi^\pi - \pi^\pi## which is one of its zeros.

Next, what math course is this for?

Can you use an approximation strategy like evaluating a few terms in its Taylor series?

Also you can try x=0, x=1... and attempt to plot it.

6. Jun 26, 2017 #5
    yeah, at first i think the solution is x<π. But when i look at the graph, there are another solution that make the inequalities become smaller than zero. Anyway i got this question from my math textbook where i study by myself. and yes i can use a bit of approximation of taylor series

7. Jun 26, 2017 #6

Mark44

Please post textbook problems in the Homework & Coursework sections, not here in the technical math sections.

8. Jun 26, 2017 #7
    Function ##f(x)=π^x - x^π## is continuous. Find values of x when f(x)=0 aka ##π^x - x^π=0##. Ranges where f(x)<0 aka ##π^x - x^π<0## must be between those x values, in range between -∞ and smallest such x value or in range between biggest such x value and ∞.

9. Jun 28, 2017 #8

lavinia

Science Advisor

This is a standard Calculus 1 homework problem

10. Jun 28, 2017 #9
    Really? I haven't heard of Lambert W function until well out of university. But then it wasn't a mathematical university.

11. Jun 29, 2017 #10

lavinia

Science Advisor

I never heard of the Lambert W function.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  12. Jun 29, 2017 #11
    Wolframalpha gives the solution in terms of the LambertW function. Is there an easier expression for the 2.3821790879930187746?

13. Jun 29, 2017 #12

lavinia

Science Advisor

I don't know what this link tells you.

I think you want to solve ##log(x)/x > log(π)/π## since

##π^{x} - x^{π} <0 ⇒ e^{xlog(π)} < e^{πlog(x)} ⇒ xlog{π} < πlog{x}##

14. Jun 29, 2017 #13
    So how do you solve that using Calculus 1 knowledge?

15. Aug 10, 2017 at 11:55 AM #14

Svein

Science Advisor

Start with observing that [itex] \frac{\log(\pi)}{\pi}[/itex] is a constant.

16. Aug 13, 2017 at 8:23 PM #15
    And continue how? Remember this is not a proof of existence, we're looking for the value of x where ##\log x/x=\log\pi/\pi##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted