PA schools that are in the top?

• Schools
  • Thread starter php111
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Schools
In summary, the conversation discusses the top PA schools for various programs, including nuclear engineering. Penn State and the University of Pennsylvania are mentioned as top schools in the state, but it is noted that Penn State is not just a party school. Other schools such as Carnegie Mellon and Swarthmore are also suggested. It is mentioned that nuclear engineering is typically a graduate program, but Penn State offers an undergraduate program. The idea of attending a branch campus for two years and then transferring to State College is also discussed. The conversation ends with a suggestion to contact the Mechanical and Nuclear Engineering department at Penn State for more information.
php111
Hi everyone,

Does anyone possibly have a list of PA schools that are in the top 5 or 10? Is Penn State in the top? Well I did do a search in a way it's in the top 10 of party school. That is not what I am looking for. lol. I am looking for schools in the top meaning either made it as an IV league or if they didn't make the IV league then the college came close to make it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Penn State isn't just a party school. You want to know if it's at the top, but you didn't specify which program you're interested in. For example, it's the top school in PA for aerospace engineering because it's the only one!

Penn State and the University of Pennsylvania (which is Ivy League) are probably the two top schools in the state. But like Z said, it depends on the field you wish to study.

Thank you. For the major I want as I did research it's the only college for Nuclear Engineering in PA. Why doesn't any college in PA has Nuclear Engineering just only Penn State? I have to go to a Community College to build up some skills but even then Penn State is hard to get into. Yes there are other colleges in PA offers Phyiscs such as Plasma but other then that no college has Nuclear. Are they afraid someone is going to blow out a Reactor lab? I am just curious. Thank you for both of your replies. Take care.

In PA, you might also look into Carnegie Mellon and Swarthmore.

robphy said:
In PA, you might also look into Carnegie Mellon and Swarthmore.

I will look into Swarthmore but I will not look into Carnegie because that is west from me and I don't drive but it will take a good hike to get to Pittsburgh. I live in Allentown right now but in about 6 months or less I might move to Philly. I can pretty much bet who ever I will live with most likely won't drive to Pittsburgh.

CMU is simply the best overall engineering school in PA according to any ranking. It is not ivy league and it is very academically challenging. You might look into a PSU two year campus before trying to transfer to a top tier school.

Oh, nuclear engineering is normally a graduate program.

Last edited:
OK let's drop Nuclear Engineering

Besides Electrical Engineering. What Engineering major has the most Math in it as for working for the NNSA or DOE (Department of Energy) or EPA or any Federal Government Agency being an Engineer?

TVP45 said:
CMU is simply the best overall engineering school in PA according to any ranking. It is not ivy league and it is very academically challenging. You might look into a PSU two year campus before trying to transfer to a top tier school.

TVP45 said:

PSU (State College) has an undergraduate nuclear engineering program, and very good program in materials of nuclear systems. I know one of the professors there quite well, and I met a few others.

http://www.mne.psu.edu/Undergrad/Specialty.htm

And that's one of the program at which I would consider teaching.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do they offer Nuclear at a PSU branch campus instead of State College University Park? So go to a branch for 2 years then transfer to State College for the other 2. That is one of my questions.

Second. Let's say I go to a local branch for 2 years, could that transfer to another branch or after 2 years at local branch I have to transfer to State College?

Astronuc said:
PSU (State College) has an undergraduate nuclear engineering program, and very good program in materials of nuclear systems. I know one of the professors there quite well, and I met a few others.

http://www.mne.psu.edu/Undergrad/Specialty.htm

And that's one of the program at which I would consider teaching.

Last edited by a moderator:
php111 said:
Do they offer Nuclear at a PSU branch campus instead of State College University Park? So go to a branch for 2 years then transfer to State College for the other 2. That is one of my questions.

Second. Let's say I go to a local branch for 2 years, could that transfer to another branch or after 2 years at local branch I have to transfer to State College?
I suggest one contact that Mechanical and Nuclear Engineering department directly and talk to one of the faculty, perferably the undergraduate faculty advisor.

In fact, I would suggest visiting the campus.

php111 said:

Since nuclear engineering is basically the same as other engineering majors during the first two years, you can go to a branch campus to complete your pre-engineering/gen ed courses. The Nuc E classes, however, are only offered at main campus (State College).

php111 said:
Thank you. For the major I want as I did research it's the only college for Nuclear Engineering in PA. Why doesn't any college in PA has Nuclear Engineering just only Penn State? I have to go to a Community College to build up some skills but even then Penn State is hard to get into. Yes there are other colleges in PA offers Phyiscs such as Plasma but other then that no college has Nuclear. Are they afraid someone is going to blow out a Reactor lab? I am just curious. Thank you for both of your replies. Take care.
You need to build up your skills in community college, but are setting your sights on top 10 schools? I think you need to do a reality check and consider other schools with decent programs, but that you have a chance of getting admitted into.

php111 said:
I will look into Swarthmore but I will not look into Carnegie because that is west from me and I don't drive but it will take a good hike to get to Pittsburgh. I live in Allentown right now but in about 6 months or less I might move to Philly. I can pretty much bet who ever I will live with most likely won't drive to Pittsburgh.

:confused: You can drive east, but not west? Penn State is west of Allentown too. You only have to drive there once or twice a year, then you stay put (i.e., live on campus or in apartments). You can even fly from Philly to Pittsburgh, or take a Greyhound bus if nobody will drive you.

php111 said:

Moonbear said:
:confused: You can drive east, but not west? Penn State is west of Allentown too. You only have to drive there once or twice a year, then you stay put (i.e., live on campus or in apartments). You can even fly from Philly to Pittsburgh, or take a Greyhound bus if nobody will drive you.
Moonbear is right. If you are going to move out to State College, then you might as well move out to Pittsburgh. Either way, you won't be able to live in Allentown/ Philadelphia and go to school in State College or Pittsburgh. Also, transportation is not a problem, since you could take a bus/plane home if needed, as Moonbear said. So, I don't think you should rule out schools in west PA for distance reasons.

Last edited:
Thank you so much. That is exactly what I was looking for.

I did try researching even out West and NO colleges have Nuclear Engineering just Penn State has it.

From the whole state of PA, just "1" college has Nuclear Engineering.

z-component said:
Since nuclear engineering is basically the same as other engineering majors during the first two years, you can go to a branch campus to complete your pre-engineering/gen ed courses. The Nuc E classes, however, are only offered at main campus (State College).

php111 said:
Thank you so much. That is exactly what I was looking for.

I did try researching even out West and NO colleges have Nuclear Engineering just Penn State has it.

From the whole state of PA, just "1" college has Nuclear Engineering.

You have to remember that there have not been a whole lot of new reactors built in the US since TMI (In fact, there was only ...well, ..umm, can't remember one). Employment went down.
You're focusing on a BS in Nuclear Engineering when you might also consider a BS in Mechanical Engineering with a Nuclear option (or certificate). Find out what degrees Westinghouse (well, whoever owns them this week) is hiring for their expansion to build the Chinese reactors.

Finally, did you get a copy of a guide like Baron's and check for Nuclear? And, did you write to each college in PA to ask what they have? And, why not PSU, starting with a two year campus? If you want to be a practicing Nuclear Engineer, as compared to an academic researcher, any good school (and PSU is a very good school) will do.

I understand.

Yes I have plans as for a 2 year Community College. My main problem is my eyes are bigger then my stomach. Even thinking about a CC, I still think ahead of me no matter even since I have plans on a 2 year CC.

For sure I need a CC because I need to build on the foundations of Math, English, Reading and probably some Science all in a CC.

I am going to make a new thread here about what classes should I need to take.

TVP45 said:
You have to remember that there have not been a whole lot of new reactors built in the US since TMI (In fact, there was only ...well, ..umm, can't remember one). Employment went down.
You're focusing on a BS in Nuclear Engineering when you might also consider a BS in Mechanical Engineering with a Nuclear option (or certificate). Find out what degrees Westinghouse (well, whoever owns them this week) is hiring for their expansion to build the Chinese reactors.

Finally, did you get a copy of a guide like Baron's and check for Nuclear? And, did you write to each college in PA to ask what they have? And, why not PSU, starting with a two year campus? If you want to be a practicing Nuclear Engineer, as compared to an academic researcher, any good school (and PSU is a very good school) will do.

Hello,

I am at High School graduate and 26 years old. I try other forums as for suggestions. They did say it is well certainly still possible but I might need to work harder or sitting around people that is younger but it's still possible because of my age.

I want to go for Nuclear Engineering. Before I can tackle that, I will have to put effort on the basic foundations.

I know for a fact Math placement will be placed in one of the lower classes. Same thing with English and Reading. Yes English is my first language and the only language I know. As for Reading, Of course I can read but reading and writing about it, that is when I am slow at it.

Here is the main link for CCP (Community College of Philadelphia). My question is, on that link everything I need plus Sciences. What would be a good route to take so PSU can accept me?

http://www.ccp.edu/site/academic/

php111 said:
Hello,

I am at High School graduate and 26 years old. I try other forums as for suggestions. They did say it is well certainly still possible but I might need to work harder or sitting around people that is younger but it's still possible because of my age.

I want to go for Nuclear Engineering. Before I can tackle that, I will have to put effort on the basic foundations.

I know for a fact Math placement will be placed in one of the lower classes. Same thing with English and Reading. Yes English is my first language and the only language I know. As for Reading, Of course I can read but reading and writing about it, that is when I am slow at it.

Here is the main link for CCP (Community College of Philadelphia). My question is, on that link everything I need plus Sciences. What would be a good route to take so PSU can accept me?

http://www.ccp.edu/site/academic/

Before selecting any 2 year college, ask whether they have an articulation agreement with Penn State. They'll know what that means. If they have one, there will likely be a pretty regimented course of study for you.

php111 said:
For sure I need a CC because I need to build on the foundations of Math, English, Reading and probably some Science all in a CC.

I am going to make a new thread here about what classes should I need to take.
How much foundation do you need before attending a 4-year university? I looked at your CC and it offers some direct transfer credits to PSU. If you're able to take, for example, a freshman composition course or calculus I (the only two I looked up) at your CC, you could transfer those to PSU. If you need more foundation than first-year courses, then I suppose you could work your way up. So, tell us, would you be able to tackle a first semester of calculus at this point?

1. What criteria are used to determine the top PA schools?

The criteria used to determine the top PA schools can vary, but typically include factors such as academic reputation, faculty qualifications, student success rates, research opportunities, and clinical rotations.

2. Are there different rankings for PA schools based on region or specialization?

Yes, there are various rankings for PA schools based on region or specialization. Some organizations may rank schools specifically for their primary care or rural medicine programs, while others may rank schools based on their location or overall reputation.

3. How often are the rankings for PA schools updated?

The rankings for PA schools are typically updated on an annual basis, although some organizations may update their rankings more frequently. It is important to check the date of the ranking to ensure it is current.

4. Can PA schools move up or down in the rankings?

Yes, PA schools can move up or down in the rankings from year to year. This can be due to changes in criteria, fluctuations in data, or improvements made by the schools themselves.

5. How can I use the rankings to choose the best PA school for me?

The rankings can be a helpful tool in narrowing down your options for PA schools, but they should not be the sole factor in your decision. It is important to also consider your personal preferences, such as location, cost, and program curriculum, in choosing the best PA school for you.