Shopping for a Car PA System: Is 15W Loud Enough?

• Thread starter dusty8683
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car System
In summary: This PA system is a good option if you want to be heard easily, or if you have the money to spend. It has a 20w output, so it will be louder than most other PA systems. It also has an adjustable gain so you can make it as loud or quiet as you want.
dusty8683
i want to buy a PA system for my car. the one I'm looking at has a 15W speaker... and it's the megaphone sort of speaker. i was wondering if someone could tell me whether this is a worthwhile system... if it will be loud enough... like the kind cops have in their cars. or does it just depend on the amplification after the mic? any info would be great. thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Worthwhile for what? Loud enough for what?

loud enough for other people to hear, basically to have fun because i have money to waste. how would it compare to a cop car's pa system? they said it has a mod that would cost $100 and make it a lot louder. any comments on that?

I don't have the specs readily availible, but I put a PA system together for my car for right around $80 bucks. I purchased a CB with a PA mode on it, and the speaker from radio shack.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=40-1440

it is a 50W speaker. It rocks. You can sit across the street from churches on sunday, say "Hello children, the rapture is upon thee" and watch people start looking for jesus in the sky.

You can say hello to police, and they never suspect you because they can't tell exactly where it is coming from.

Anyhow, the more watts the louder, although your CB is only going to put out so much power. A small amplifier, such as used to push mids and highs in a car stereo would do the trick.

Also, if you got money to burn, (send me some) look for a cb with built in sound effects.

Here is a pretty neat looking PA,
http://www.theavguy.com/rei_files/rei-pa.htm
20w output, with adjustable gain (volume control) on the mic.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I know if 15W is loud enough for my car PA system?

The loudness of a car PA system is measured in watts (W). 15W is typically enough power for most car PA systems to produce clear and audible sound. However, the loudness also depends on the quality and efficiency of the speakers and other components in the system. It is recommended to test the system before purchasing to ensure it meets your desired level of loudness.

2. Will a 15W car PA system be loud enough for outdoor use?

It depends on the specific model and brand of the system. Some 15W car PA systems are designed to be used outdoors and have a higher decibel (dB) output, while others may not be suitable for outdoor use. It is best to check the specifications of the system to determine its outdoor capabilities.

3. Can I connect additional speakers to a 15W car PA system?

Yes, most 15W car PA systems have the option to connect additional speakers to increase the overall loudness and coverage. However, keep in mind that the power of the system will be distributed among the connected speakers, so the loudness of each individual speaker may be reduced.

4. Is 15W enough for a car PA system to be heard over background noise?

The loudness of a car PA system is affected by many factors, such as the ambient noise level, distance from the speakers, and the efficiency of the system. In a quiet environment, a 15W car PA system may be loud enough to be heard clearly. However, in a noisy environment, it may struggle to cut through the background noise. It is important to consider these factors when determining if 15W is enough for your needs.

5. How does the wattage of a car PA system affect its sound quality?

The wattage of a car PA system does not necessarily determine its sound quality. A 15W system can produce high-quality sound if it has efficient and well-designed components. On the other hand, a higher wattage system may not necessarily have better sound quality if its components are not up to par. It is important to consider the overall design and components of the system, rather than just its wattage, when determining its sound quality.