Pacific Rim, anyone looking forward to it?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: And yet it gets such a high rating (72%) on RT. I simply don't trust the opinion of "professional" critics anymore. They have fav directors (Del Toro is definitely a favoured son) and directors they love to hate - like Michael...
Usually this kind of movie has me running, but the trailer looks good and the director Guillermo del Toro has the brains and creativity to pull it off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5guMumPFBag

Physics news on Phys.org
I love del Toro's work, but I don't have high hopes for this one. It's difficult to tell a good story when there is this much CGI to show off.

Oh...dear

I refuse to call this sort of "movie" anything other then a cartoon.

Del Toro makes good movies, but this is not his normal genre. Wait and see.

Alien Godzillas Vs Non transforming Transformers!

All of my prayers have been answered.

The real heroes are the guys that built those robots

It will be an interesting movie... I am not to sure how much story it will have to it but the graphics do look pretty sweet. I have some reservations with it, but it will most likely be a decent action movie and nothing more.

Office_Shredder said:

HA! No kidding, why haven't we tried to do this yet?

Office_Shredder said:

I totally agree. As many consider driving a robot extremely cool, it is not that difficult to find qualified persons to drive them. I would be impressed if the movie shares the efforts made by the robot designers and engineers.

Anyway, I do not watch movies a lot yet I am definitely going to watch this one. The concept is nothing new especially from watching too many animes yet I am always excited to see the improvement in the visual effects. After watching Superman, I am sure the effects in Pacific Rim would be equally impressive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Giant robots fighting giant monsters in sweet looking CGI?
Yes please. Even if the plot is bad, yes please.
And is anyone really expecting the plot to be better than: ****, we got giant aliens coming out of the ocean! Let's build giant robots to kill them! Why? Cuz it looks freaking sweet!
I'm not. And I'm okay with that.

Edit: Just watched the trailer again. I soooo can't wait for this movie! And that's pretty rare for me. I am not a movie person at all.

Last edited:
Any trailer looks enticing when you have a voice actor with an adequately attractive and deep voice, along with the right music.

Although the mentioning of Guillermo del Toro does remind me that I need to watch Pan's Labyrinth.

Is it just me, or is it as we reach peaks of CGI capability, we see movies that are basically some script thrown together so we can show them off?

Not that I'm always complaining, but it's interesting. I feel like showy-graphic and effects type movies come in waves. Might just be my perception.

Bottom line: Will watch to watch, but not super excited.

HayleySarg said:
Is it just me, or is it as we reach peaks of CGI capability, we see movies that are basically some script thrown together so we can show them off?

It's always been like this.

I mean, it seems to come in stronger bunches. I'd have to gather up some sort of sample of data with respect to year released.

I can't get into movies that are too unrealistic. There's no way that giant power ranger would do any better than just shooting the monsters with long range weapons. And if missiles somehow wouldn't damage the monsters, then how could a punch thrown by a giant robot do any damage? It just makes no sense.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I'm heading out to see it Friday! 76% on RT, not bad!

Definitely not a bad rating; Rotten Tomatoes tends to be a little harsh, so 76% means there's some hope for it.

Not sure why anybody would waste money on this... Ah well...

micromass said:
Not sure why anybody would waste money on this...
Maybe if "The Lone Ranger" was sold out...

wow wow wow was I disappointed! What the heck did I just watch. Horrible acting, bad script, no story, no emotion, lots of plot holes, tons of wacky science, bad comedy moments. Mud on the face of Del Toro. I thought he was better than this. It's not that much better than Transformers.

Greg Bernhardt said:
wow wow wow was I disappointed! What the heck did I just watch. Horrible acting, bad script, no story, no emotion, lots of plot holes, tons of wacky science, bad comedy moments. Mud on the face of Del Toro. I thought he was better than this. It's not that much better than Transformers.

And yet it gets such a high rating (72%) on RT. I simply don't trust the opinion of "professional" critics anymore. They have fav directors (Del Toro is definitely a favoured son) and directors they love to hate - like Michael Bay.

72% is high? o.0 wow all this time I judged movie ratings on RT the same way I judged test scores: 90% and higher and you can walk in not expecting it to be total crap.

Greg Bernhardt said:

What? I thought it was awesome!
Of course, I went there to see giant robots fighting giant monsters. It's exactly what I expected.

WannabeNewton said:
72% is high? o.0 wow all this time I judged movie ratings on RT the same way I judged test scores: 90% and higher and you can walk in not expecting it to be total crap.

90%?? That's setting the bar waaaay too high in my opinion. Django Unchained and Brokeback Mountain, both Best Picture nominees in their respective years, scored "only" high 80s on RT. But they're definitely worth watching.

Ironically, the movie that beat Brokeback to win BP (Crash) only got 75% overall on RT. Which I think is being generous, because that is a horrid, unsubtle wreck of a movie that beat BM not on its merits, but instead (I suspect) certain opinions held by conservative Academy voters.

Drakkith said:
What? I thought it was awesome!
Of course, I went there to see giant robots fighting giant monsters. It's exactly what I expected.

Yeah I thought it was cool the first fight, then it was just got old watching a robot punch an alien over and over and over for the next two hours. I didn't care about the characters one bit. No chemistry, no story.

Curious3141 said:
90%?? That's setting the bar waaaay too high in my opinion.
I probably just watch too many Pixar films.

WannabeNewton said:
I probably just watch too many Pixar films.

Impossible.

Hey, if this is makes a mockery of physical laws, then I don't care - just call me an outlaw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EEtGLLDhNY

The song's not even really from the film - it was composed from scratch by an inspired fan-artist as a tribute to the movie.
Talk about striking a chord!

Last edited:
sanman said:
Hey, if this is makes a mockery of physical laws, then I don't care - just call me an outlaw:

The song's not even really from the film - it was composed from scratch by an inspired fan-artist as a tribute to the movie.
Talk about striking a chord!

Wooo!

Drakkith said:

Yeah, me too. I was in the mood for it and it delivered.

I thought it was awesome!

Now you're going too far but that's good. I would be worried if you and I totally agreed on something.

Woof !

1. What is "Pacific Rim" about?

"Pacific Rim" is a science fiction film set in the near future where humanity is under attack by giant monsters called Kaiju. To combat these creatures, humans have created massive robots called Jaegers, which are controlled by two pilots who share a neural link.

2. Who is directing "Pacific Rim"?

"Pacific Rim" is directed by Guillermo del Toro, a Mexican filmmaker known for his work in the fantasy and horror genres. He is also known for directing other films such as "Pan's Labyrinth" and "Hellboy".

3. Who are the main actors in "Pacific Rim"?

The main actors in "Pacific Rim" include Charlie Hunnam, Idris Elba, Rinko Kikuchi, and Charlie Day. Other notable actors in the film include Ron Perlman and Burn Gorman.

4. Is "Pacific Rim" a sequel or a standalone film?

"Pacific Rim" is a standalone film, but it does have a sequel called "Pacific Rim: Uprising" which was released in 2018. However, both films can be enjoyed on their own without needing to watch the other.

5. When was "Pacific Rim" released?

"Pacific Rim" was released on July 12, 2013 in the United States. It was also released in other countries around the world around the same time.