1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Package dropped from a plane

1. Sep 27, 2008 #1
    Package dropped from a plane!!

A plane is flying horizontally with wpeed 281 m/s at a height 3200m about the ground. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2. Neglecting air resistance, what is the horizontal distance from the release point to the impact point?

I'm not sure where to start ... these are different than projectile problems we've been looking at...

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Oi! That package almost hit me! :frown:

Hi knelson! Welcome to PF! :biggrin:

The package will have the same velocity as the plane …

so this is just like a problem where the package is shot horizontally out of a gun at 281 m/s :smile:

4. Sep 27, 2008 #3
    Re: Package dropped from a plane!!

Hi! Thanks for your quick relpy! As soon as I hit submit I actually figured out the problem! I just found the time it would take to his the ground and used that to plug it into the equation to find the displacement of x! I guess just thinking about it as I was typing helped, hehe. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?