Packing Fraction of Cylinders - Answers to Your Questions

• Thread starter marmot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fractions
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of packing fraction and its dependence on the ratio of radius to height of cylinders in a container. The speaker has a question about finding the number of randomly packed cylinders in a container and mentions the use of packing fraction in estimating this. They also mention that packing fraction differs from closest packing fraction and provide a paper on jammed M&Ms as an example. The speaker notes that there may not be an analytical solution for cylinders in 3D.
marmot
Hey. I have a question. What is the packing fraction of a container full of randomly jammed cylinders? Also, does the packing fraction depend on the ratio of the radius to height of the cylinder? There is some contest of finding certain amount of cylindrical objects inside a container (I can't weight it) and I know that for certain shapes, you can use the packing fraction to estimate (Spheres have a random packing of .64). I already planned the way I am doing this (finding volume, size of discs, etc) and this would be perfect with the packing fraction of cylinders. Youll help me loads.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't the packing fraction just the filled volume divided by total volume?
So it would depend on the radius and height of the cylinders, and how many of them there are. If you have N cylinders of radius r and height h in a container of volume V then the packing fraction is
[tex]\eta = N \pi r^2 h / V.[/tex]

[edit]Ah, sloppy reading from my part. I guess your actual question is: if we throw in with randomly oriented cylinders until no more can be fitted in the volume, what is the expectation value of N?[/edit]

Exactly. The random packing fraction of a shape depends greately on its degrees of freedom and "contact point". It is used a lot in thermodynamics but you can use it to find the number of randomly packed things in a container too. It is different from "closest" packing fraction, which would be the most efficient way to pack a certain shape.

Here is a paper on jammed MandMs:

http://www.cims.nyu.edu/~donev/Packing/JammedMM.pdf

I'm not sure the case for cylinders hase been solved. And I'm not sure any geometry other than monodisperse spherical (Percus-Yevick model, IIRC) has an analytical solution.

Edit- I should point out that I am referring to 3D...

What is the packing fraction of cylinders?

The packing fraction of cylinders is a measure of how tightly packed cylinders are in a given space. It is calculated by dividing the volume of the cylinders by the total volume of the space they occupy.

Why is the packing fraction of cylinders important?

The packing fraction of cylinders is important because it can help determine the efficiency of a packing arrangement. A higher packing fraction indicates a more efficient use of space, which can be important in various industrial applications such as packing materials in shipping containers.

What factors affect the packing fraction of cylinders?

The packing fraction of cylinders can be affected by several factors, including the size and shape of the cylinders, the size and shape of the space they are being packed into, and the orientation of the cylinders. Other factors such as surface roughness and the presence of other objects in the space can also affect the packing fraction.

How does the packing fraction of cylinders differ from other packing fractions?

The packing fraction of cylinders differs from other packing fractions, such as the packing fraction of spheres, because cylinders have a different shape and can be packed differently. Spheres have a higher maximum packing fraction than cylinders, but cylinders can be packed more efficiently in certain arrangements.

How is the packing fraction of cylinders calculated?

The packing fraction of cylinders is calculated by dividing the volume of the cylinders by the total volume of the space they occupy. This can be done by counting the number of cylinders and measuring their dimensions, or by using mathematical formulas for specific packing arrangements.