Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Packing Luggage: Fold or Roll?

1. Roll

6 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. Fold

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Both, depending on the item

6 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. Jan 17, 2013 #1
    When you pack your luggage, what do you do?

Fold clothes? Roll them? Does it matter? Other?

(If I could figure out how to make a poll, this would be one :redface: )

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2013 #2
    I scrunch. Oops. Wrong poll.

4. Jan 17, 2013 #3
    Dammit Jimmy! :tongue2:

I am packing now for Ghana. I think what I usually wind up doing is packing once; seeing how things fit and then unpacking and re-packing with some improvements.

5. Jan 17, 2013 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

How many articles of clothing and how long until you have to leave? I should be able to create a computer model that will give you an answer 8 hours after you have to leave.

6. Jan 17, 2013 #5
    Definitely a combination. I usually fold shirts and pants, but anything else is rolled.

7. Jan 17, 2013 #6

turbo

Gold Member

I used to travel a lot for business. I found that I could get a lot more clothing into my bags if I folded stuff neatly and did a bit of planning as I packed. Rolling clothing could have negated some wrinkle problems, but would have left voids that I would not have wanted to deal with when traveling with a carry-on and minimal checked baggage.

8. Jan 17, 2013 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I've found that rolling clothes will actually use less room, it's only that you don't want to badly wrinkle clothes by rolling them, so I do a mix.

9. Jan 17, 2013 #8

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you're seriously packing your luggage, folding is almost certain to leave creases. You'll definitely have to iron as soon as you reach your hotel.

Rolling at least prevents major creases, but it's going to take some careful rolling to eliminate all wrinkles. You'll probably still have to iron, but at least you won't be ironing out major creases.

Best bet - mix your categories of clothes in each roll. Stuff you don't care about having wrinkles in should be rolled first (underwear, T-shirts, jeans, etc) with the clothes you hope to have arrive wrinkle free rolled around your rolled underwear, T-shirts, etc. You're still going to either have to get lucky or else recalibrate your standard of wrinkle free to "meh, not that bad".

10. Jan 17, 2013 #9

Drakkith

Folding? Rolling? Ironing? What are these strange words?

11. Jan 17, 2013 #10

drizzle

Gold Member

Are you serious? Why isn't there an option for those who just throw all of their stuff in their luggage???

12. Jan 17, 2013 #11

drizzle

Gold Member

I used to roll cloths, but I found it time consuming, AND no matter how hard I try to have wrinkle free cloths, I always end up doing the ironing/steaming. I now shift to folding, and I use the whole area of the luggage--make as less folds as possible. :biggrin:

13. Jan 17, 2013 #12

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Wow you guys sure do go the extra mile. I just stuff them all in as I take them out of the laundry bag and sit on the suitcase until it closes. =D

14. Jan 17, 2013 #13

Evo

Anything like suits are hung in a suit bag, If you're traveling for business, you don't have much choice unless you will be arriving in time to have the hotel dry cleaner press everything. Traveling for leisure, not as important.

15. Jan 17, 2013 #14

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh wow, that goes back some years!

16. Jan 17, 2013 #15

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

An excellent solution. Your luggage will be like geologic strata.

17. Jan 17, 2013 #16
    I wound up doing a combination. I am packing all of my stuff into a hiker's backpack. No irons, no steamers where I'm going. Just dirt roads and rain-forests. We might have electricity this year; we'll see!

18. Jan 17, 2013 #17

drizzle

Gold Member

Meh, just throw in a couple of jeans and shirts.. and lots of insecticides. :biggrin: :tongue:

Btw, if you don't mind me sking, what are you doing there in Ghana?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  19. Jan 18, 2013 #18
    Roll, also stuff stock and underwear into shoes to save space. Many people overpack, for two weeks all you need is 2 pairs of jeans, 1 pair of shorts, one pair of extra shoes, 5 pairs of underwear, 5 pairs of socks, one nice shirt, one pair of nice pants, 3-4 T shirts, and 2 shirts w/ collar.

20. Jan 18, 2013 #19
    I fold each item neatly and hermetically seal them in one of those food sealers where you suck the air out. Each item is individually packaged. Except socks where there's 2 to a package. Saves a lot of space. That way I have room to take the 40 pound sealer and extra sealer bags with me and do the same for the trip back!

21. Jan 18, 2013 #20

Drakkith

I...who...what...

*does math*
    *math fails*
    How does this work?!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook