Padding cells to make a single matrix

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cells Matrix
In summary, it seems that you are encountering an error while trying to convert a cell array into a matrix in MATLAB. This is due to the cell array containing variables of different types, which is not supported by the cell2mat function. To resolve this, you will need to ensure that all the variables in your cell array are of the same type before using the cell2mat function, either by using a conversion function or creating a new cell array with all the elements converted to the same type. Good luck with your research!
member 428835
Hi PF!

I'd like to make one matrix from a cell. I've checked several suggestions, the most promising here but this did not work, giving me the unhelpful error

Brace indexing is not supported for variables of this type.
Error in cell2mat (line 42)
cellclass = class(c{1});
Error in Feven (line 212)
C=cell2mat(cellfun(@(x) [cell2mat(x) zeros(1,maxEl-numel(x))],c,'uni',0));

The cell data is here. Any help is so appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there!

It looks like you are trying to convert a cell array into a matrix in MATLAB. The error you are receiving is because the cell array you are trying to convert contains variables of different types, which is not supported by the cell2mat function.

To resolve this issue, you will need to make sure all the variables in your cell array are of the same type before using the cell2mat function. You can do this by using the cellfun function to apply a conversion function to each element of the cell array.

For example, if your cell array contains both strings and numbers, you can use the str2num function to convert all the strings to numbers before using cell2mat. Alternatively, you can also use the cellfun function to create a new cell array with all the elements converted to the same type, and then use cell2mat on the new cell array.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your research!

What is the purpose of padding cells in a matrix?

Padding cells in a matrix is a technique used to make all rows and columns of a matrix the same size. This is necessary for certain mathematical operations and data processing tasks.

How is padding done in a matrix?

Padding is usually done by adding empty cells (filled with zeros or null values) to the end of each row or column in a matrix until all rows and columns are the same length. This can also be done by adding a border of empty cells around the matrix.

What are the benefits of padding cells in a matrix?

Padding cells in a matrix can help with data organization and easier manipulation of data. It also allows for consistent matrix dimensions, which is important for certain algorithms and analyses.

Are there any downsides to padding cells in a matrix?

The main downside of padding cells in a matrix is that it can introduce additional noise or irrelevant data into the matrix. This can affect the accuracy of certain calculations or analyses.

Can padding cells be done in different ways?

Yes, there are different methods for padding cells in a matrix, such as zero padding, mean padding, or mirror padding. The choice of method may depend on the specific needs and goals of the data analysis.