Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

'Page Not Found' Error

1. Jul 10, 2007 #1
    I have been getting the following error after I click the submit button on a new thread. ('Programming' forum)

It also happens when I hit the preview button.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2007 #2

VietDao29

Homework Helper

You may have been automatically signed out, and then, when you sign in, the post will be lost.

I experience this a few times, so just before posting anything, save the whole thingy to your Clipboard.

You may also want to check the Remember Me checkbox to solve the problem. You'll never be automatically logged out again. :smile:

----------------------

Btw, I have just tried to preview my post in Programming Forums, and it works fine for me.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2007
  4. Jul 10, 2007 #3
    I was not signed out, and I do have the 'Remember Me' box checked.

Tried again... no luck. :( I will try from another browser.

5. Jul 10, 2007 #4
    I just used Opera(free of cookies, cache, etc.) to post the same thread - I got the same error message.

6. Jul 10, 2007 #5

VietDao29

Homework Helper

I'll test it in Opera, have you tried Firefox? Pretty good. :smile: It works fine for me in Firefox.

-----------------

I haven't post any thread, I just tried to preview it, and it seems to display correctly to me. Maybe it's some of your settings that cause the problems. Not very sure. I have Opera Version 9.10

7. Jul 10, 2007 #6
    I've been a Firefox user for 2-3 years now. :smile: (from 1.0.4, IIRC)

I use Opera 9.21. I don't think it has anything to do with settings, since I have tried it from two different browsers, one of them with default.

I have been able to post this thread.

8. Jul 11, 2007 #7
    I tried posting the same message from the Computers forum - I get Page Not Found. My post has only text and some C++ code enclosed within code tags. :(

9. Jul 11, 2007 #8

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Have you tried posting it here, in Forum Feedback & Announcement?

10. Jul 11, 2007 #9
    If temporary spamming is allowed for experimental reasons, then I will do it. :biggrin:

11. Jul 11, 2007 #10
    HA...It doesn't work even here. I will post the code somewhere online and paste link to it here. Thanks

12. Jul 11, 2007 #11
    I don't what's wrong with that forum! :grumpy: All I want to post is this code - http://pastebin.ca/614255 - and some text.

So here's the gist of what would've been a thread at the programming forum.

The program that I have linked to does not seem to work they way it should. The second for loop works fine (fixed n). But when I use a while or for loop to vary n, I get back the shell prompt. I use the GNU

13. Jul 11, 2007 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since it seems to be the content of your post and not your browser or the forum, have you checked that you're using the code tags correctly? Using square brackets to enclose the tags here, for example? All I can figure is it's something in your code that is being read, perhaps because it's not properly enclosed in the code tags, or something in it prematurely indicates the end of the code tags so the rest of the code is being read.

I don't know anything about programming to help you see if something in what you were trying to post would attempt to redirect a page or something, but maybe someone else could take a gander and see if there's something in it likely to cause that problem. It seems you have found a solution by posting it in a link until the root cause of the problem is found.

14. Jul 11, 2007 #13

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Oh, I don't have much experience with programming, though I did study it some times ago, just some VB extremely basic stuff. =.="

Where's dduardo, btw? I haven't seen him round much. He may help.

15. Jul 11, 2007 #14
    In fact, I removed the code (and tags) and posted the link, instead (with the rest of the normal text), but that did not work, either. But posting the link here was not a problem.

I have posted the same message in another forum(copy+paste from the same text file), which also use the vBulletin forum software.

I think he took a break some months ago. I think he is travelling. The code is not complicated, though...very basic stuff. :)

16. Jul 11, 2007 #15

-Job-

Science Advisor

Neutrino, in your code you have to reset "sum" back to 1 with each iteration of the top loop.

17. Jul 11, 2007 #16

-Job-

Science Advisor

Also, can you post at all in the Computer forums? Is it only when using vB tags that it fails?

18. Jul 11, 2007 #17
    Silly me. :blushing: Thanks a lot, -Job-. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?