Pain & Consciousness: What is It?

In summary: I think that's a great point. It's possible that our conscience was designed to prevent pain, but it could also be that it's simply a natural byproduct of being conscious.
King Arthur
http://philosophy.uwaterloo.ca/MindDict/substancedualism.html
Perhaps the most famous proponent of substance dualism was Descartes, who cashed out the distinction between minds and bodies as follows:

Minds are things that think but lack spatial magnitude, and bodies are things that have spatial magnitudes, but don't think.
End Quote

Just a thought, our evolutionary ancestors had bodies, but these were only simple one celled creatures. I would have thought the mind, (consciousness) was something that the body developed along the lines of pain, to prevent injury.

What do you think consciousness is?

Physics news on Phys.org
Consciousness is our thoughts, experiences, pleasures and the fact that we have a conscience, "i think therefore i am"

the problem with referring to Descartes in the present day and age is the fact that the knowledge available now, far transcends what was available then.

Today scientist know that the mind and body (and I am including spirit) are one, there is no separation and the two/three should not be considered as anything other than one singular entity in which our conscious is given an opportunity to expand, grow, and learn, for all we truly are are our thoughts and experiences, the rest is subjective.

Mind is a platform for conscious experience
Spirit is a platform for growth based on our conscious experience
the one cannot survive and (grow) without the other.

Wouldn't we need consciousness in order to feel the pain, otherwise how would we know that it is pain so that we could record it as a feeling that we either like or dislike if we were not conscious?

King Arthur said:
What do you think consciousness is?

That's always an interesting thing to think about. This is my personal opinion:

I think consciousness is an emergent property that arises from the brain synchronizing it's dynamics to those of the outside world. It does this as a survival strategy. For example, I hear dogs barking outside in the distance. I believe I'm conscious of that because my brain adjusts the firing patterns of some neurons in the brain to somehow "match" the dynamics of the dogs barking. I can't say exactly how. But I think the brain does this for every other phenomenon it "experiences": the brain mimics the outside world by modeling it's dynamic behavior in the form of nerve impulses.

An analogy I would give is tuning a wave form to match another wave form in terms of frequency and amplitude. The second waveform now "experiences" the first waveform because it has grown "like" it. Now imagine millions of these similarities coupled together and what emerges I believe is the conscious experience.

That's why I believe the answer to the problem of mind and consciousness will not come from biology or medicine or chemistry but from mathematics in the form of understanding massively-coupled non-linear dynamics.

So if I was a young man interested in this problem I would become a mathematician. But when I was a young man I was interested in Biology so I became a Chemist. :)

Last edited:
jackmell said:
I think consciousness is an emergent property that arises from the brain synchronizing it's dynamics to those of the outside world. It does this as a survival strategy. For example, I hear dogs barking outside in the distance. I believe I'm conscious of that because my brain adjusts the firing patterns of some neurons in the brain to somehow "match" the dynamics of the dogs barking. I can't say exactly how. But I think the brain does this for every other phenomenon it "experiences": the brain mimics the outside world by modeling it's dynamic behavior in the form of nerve impulses.

An analogy I would give is tuning a wave form to match another wave form in terms of frequency and amplitude. The second waveform now "experiences" the first waveform because it has grown "like" it. Now imagine millions of these similarities coupled together and what emerges I believe is the conscious experience.

That's a cool sounding idea. It could explain the differences in cognitive abilities between humans as well. The only difference is that some are just more conscious than others. Their brains are better able to mimic the stimuli coming from your sense organs and therefore present themselves with a more accurate representation of reality.

LudusRex said:
That's a cool sounding idea. It could explain the differences in cognitive abilities between humans as well. The only difference is that some are just more conscious than others. Their brains are better able to mimic the stimuli coming from your sense organs and therefore present themselves with a more accurate representation of reality.

I guess that also explains why a digital recording of a dog's bark is more conscious than our experience of it ;-)

Last edited:
if our conscience was originaly disigned to prevent pain then wouldent everybodys act and develop in a similer way? if thts the case why do people react differently? why could some people murder in cold blood and other throw up with guilt at stealing some spice. i believe our conscience is just another part of your mind that grows as you do and its just an a part of you brain that isent dominent and isent prejudiced telling you what you honestly think right and wrong is

1. What is pain?

Pain is a complex sensory and emotional experience that is associated with actual or potential tissue damage. It is a warning signal that something in the body is wrong and needs attention.

2. How does the brain process pain?

The brain processes pain through a complex network of neurons and neurotransmitters. When pain receptors in the body are activated, they send signals to the brain, which then interprets and responds to the pain signals.

3. Is pain necessary for consciousness?

There is ongoing debate about whether pain is necessary for consciousness. While some argue that pain is a fundamental aspect of being conscious, others suggest that consciousness can exist without pain.

4. Can consciousness exist without pain?

Some studies have shown that individuals with certain conditions, such as congenital analgesia, can experience consciousness without pain. This suggests that consciousness and pain may not be entirely dependent on each other.

5. How does pain affect consciousness?

Pain can have a significant impact on consciousness, as it can alter our thoughts, emotions, and behaviors. Chronic pain can also lead to changes in brain structure and function, which can affect our overall state of consciousness.